2006 X350 4.2 fault codes PO411/414 and 492

A few days back, after inadvertently running an indeterminate number of miles with the gas cap not snug after fueling my ‘06 VDP, I got a CEL. I topped off the fuel and snugged up the cap.

An auto store read the codes as PO411/414/492. In the timing is everything department, this is occurring right as my car is due for its emissions test. I drove it past a mobile testing point today and will have the result in a day or two. The auto store said they would give me the OBD device to use to clear the codes myself as they wouldn’t, if I walked in and said I thought I’d fixed the problem and wanted to check.

My question: research suggests I might have a problem with a check valve, vacuum line or the air pump associated with the emissions system, might need a reflash of the engine computer, or other things. Does anyone have experience with this? I notice one TSB, #00094 associated with the 492 code.

Thoughts appreciated.

Eliot,

Why play around . Go to the Jaguar dealer near you, they have the equipment and know how .
Kim R.

Just an update. My local shop cleared these and three other codes. But, after 100 miles, we could not get the car computer to clear the car to pass emissions. I drove it 200 additional miles after returning from overseas 10 days ago to try to cover all the drive monitoring program parameters. I failed to have the computer checked again to see if it would pass as I was feeling time pressure so I took it straight to the dealer.

The car had cleared itself and the car passed the emissions test without any work. However, they “found” brittle vacuum lines, a failed check-valve and a leak in the air intake tube downstream of the Mass Air Sensor. I authorized repair of all of that on the assumption it would save me trouble later.

I also had them replace two failed tire pressure monitoring senders to make that light disappear. It took a week, but they gave me a free rental. Labor was $150 an hour ($135 after an end-of-bill discount) and parts prices were anywhere from 50% to 100% higher than what I have found from Jag dealers who sell online. But they also knocked 10 percent off the parts, and the final bill and it was about $250 US less than I anticipated. I got out of this for about $1,300 — Far higher than what other shops might charge, but with a rental tossed in, a pretty good price for what was done. And there are no lights on the dash!!!

Of course, they also offered new pads and rotors for $1,000 an axle (no thanks.) And I still need to get that done, and anticipate the failure of the other two TPMS senders and replace the battery which is about 4.5 years into its lifespan. Other than that, this car is doing well for a 12-year-old beast.

Eliot