3 1/2 Litre engine part recommendations?

Yer gonna need to bump up auxiliary lighting on these pix!

It’s a shed, basically. It’s the dark time of the year, that’s what I see with my adjustable head held LED light! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s this modern gizmo, called a flash:wink:

I had 1% of battery on my iPhone, no flash, no wifi. :slight_smile:

Edit: plus it’s the middle of the night and I think I have about 2% of battery left (in my brain) so I gotta go and recharge and reboot! :smiley:

2 Likes

No Wiffie???

Good grief, man!! Life can end, w/o Wiffie!

:grimacing:

Does this shed have a source of heat?

1 Like

Late nights out of the city, no space, low battery, bad lighting and no wifi sounds awfully familiar in a way, but… the last Photo looks really good. It captures the whole situation very well doesn’t it :slightly_smiling_face: I like it. No electricity either?

Then maybe get yourself a set of battery lights for little money, they do a lot and can be a life saver sometimes. And I‘ve now bought headphone that will do the hands free (or caught) hey siri thing with the phone out of reach on the charger. Worth it. I enjoy following along.

1 Like

Most important, be aware of the two large washers on the operating shaft, one at each end of the compression spring on the shaft; the one that is inside the chassis protects the socket from damage from the sharp end of the spring. There are two rubber o-rings, one on each side of the bronze bearing, but both on the outside of the chassis, to hold in the grease.
PICT0001
PICT0035

Hi,

Sure, I think I got those. But what’s that thing hanging in the first picture from the clutch pedal arm? A return spring? The have that attachment on the pedal arm and it does look to me as there is supposed to be a spring in there, but there’s nothing to be found on my car. What and where does the other end attach to?

Also when bought my car was missing the throttle return spring, there was only a long weak spring attached to the acceletor pedal rod, which I took off once the whole accelerator linkage was working as it was designed to.

Cheers!

Yes, that’s a clutch pedal return spring. The other end passes through a body mounting bracket and hooks on the other side.

I’ll put my throttle linkage on this week and get some pix.

Hi,

That’s great, I knew something is missing there as the thng on the pedal arm looked like an attachment for a spring, I’ll mount some spring in there. :+1:

Cheers!

Hi,

More progress, a lovely day, which is exceptional as normally this time of the year is very grey and rainy and dark in here.

Cheers!

Ps. The head is back on, the helper is my cousins son who has a cabin nearby on an island. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice environs to work on the 5!

Thanks, were you able to spot the XJ6C? :slight_smile:

It wasn’t that warm today, max +5.5C outside.

Cheers!

Hi,

Two lovely (but short) days, today adjusted the rockers (finished yesterday) and did the timing (and then of course readjusted them again) and mounted the carbs and had the first smoke out!

All fine, really glad we had a few mild days (stormy nights) over +10C and everything is much easier, cam even get some sunhine in the doors!

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Pekka, looks great to see your progress. You look close to fitting the C.2808 Centre for Damper which is shown as J.7 in spare parts catalogue. Sometimes I have found the Centre for Damper is a very tight fit on the crankshaft, difficult to install. In that case I have put the Centre for Damper in the kitchen oven for an hour to give it some thermal expansion. Too hot to handle without gloves and cools inside diameter pretty quickly when slid on the crankshaft makes it easy to install providing the woodruff keys alignments are correct.

Hi Roger,

Yes, actually I did it twice already. It was needed for my fancy timing wheel setup. :slight_smile:
(And NOT 3-4 times, like the rev counter pick-up and starting carb pipe hassle)

Yes, heat sure would help, I would have done it that way in the city, but in the country house I have a 100 yard run from the cottage to the garage and the cliffs are now very slippery! :smiley:

But I made that, now I need to take that big nut out again to fit the damper and pulley. Remember this is a MKIV engine, I used to have thf damper facing front, but was able to swap pulleys (and kniwledge) with Ed to get my engine more to MKV looks. I also had the MKIV water pump back plate before I sourced the MKV alu casting from ebay some 10 years ago.

Cheers!

Well done Pekka! It’s all coming together very nicely.

Peter :+1:

1 Like

So… how long are your daylight hours, these days?

For your amusement, I also owned a 456GT. Do you have the factory brochures in this photo? If not, would you like me to send them to you?

1 Like

Well about eight hours now, but getting even shorter, it gets light about 8AM and dark at 5PM. (The official times today are sunrise at 8:32 and sunset at 15:40)

Up north (where we should be next week) it’s sunrise 9:24 and sunset 14:20.

But it’s rare to have sunshine in November like we now had several days each week. :slight_smile:

Cheers!