3 1/2 Litre engine part recommendations?

Hi,

Oh well, 200 messages on this thread and Happy Thanksgiving (stay safe) everyone!

I thought I would just mount the radiator and bonnett and drive the car back home. But needed to retighten the head nuts after the first start and check valve clearances. Did not go as expected! :-o

To cut a long story short, I found out that valve nr 11 was not fully closed. Turning the engine by hand the valve opened and I could hear a cling, something dropped on the piston!

After all kinds of horror stories inside my head off came the exhaust manifolds, the carbs and the head!

There was steel or iron debris, possibly the remains of the PO’s mechanics valve guides, inside cyl nr. 6, :frowning:

So now the new and expensive composite head gasket has been compromised, but the engine is again back together and now it runs smooth at 450rpm idle with rhe radiator and water pump back on.

Also noticed that push rod nr 10 is not true, but slightly bent. I will need to replace it soon.

But a big relief all is well again. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Ps. The first bits that came out.

2 Likes

I think you are fine, wrt the head gasket: I’d be worried about why the guide broke, and are/if the others are compromised.

Hi,

They were all replaced with new, Jaguar spec guides. Also the seats were recut at the engine shop. I had cleaned the head inside and out, I could not understand where those bits had been hiding, perhaps the starting carb venturi, as it’s one of those few parts I did not take out and clean/renew.

Anyways I hope there are no more hiding somewhere!

Cheers!

On the pushrod heads the intake manifold is a passage cast inside the head. There are core plugs at each end. Here I have removed the core plugs for the water jacket but did not remove the intake core plugs. Your broken pieces must have been inside there.
Mark V cylinder head 003 Mark V cylinder head 004

1 Like

Thanks Rob,

I hope there are none left now.

Running in the moonlight. :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Back home in the city, but not without hick-ups.

Ignition was apparently a bit late, but not a big problem as I am ”running in” and not exceeding 2000rpm.

Just a few blocks from the garage I lost ignition, turned out to be the connection from coil to distributor. I was towed the few blocks as it was dark and cold outside. But now all is well again and the engine runs fine. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi,

Yes, also the MKIV head on my engine is made by “Chromidium”, but almost all other alu and iron castings in my engine have the “Repton” logo, except timing case cover and a few other bits that have the “WM” logo. I thought it was for “West Midlands” foundry, but I guess I was wrong as on the XK forum Roger Payne could tell it was for the “William Mills” foundry.

And now that I have my engine running again and the car back home, I’d like to thank you all who have helped with your comments and observations and sharing your knowledge and experience. :+1:

And I’ll be glad to post more photos of anything you’d like to see.

I am now pretty much convinced that Roger McWilliams had/has the right conclusion about what went wrong: oil starvation in the upstairs department.

Now that I have been looking at the old rocker shaft and pics of the rockers and valves before the rebuild it is obvious that:

A) In my cylinder head, the valve guides were not original and they were not original spec either. They were cast iron, possibly from some American car that shared the dimensions for the valve stems.

One got broken in the engine breakdown. I think the pieces that I found after the first start-up after the rebuild inside cyl nr. 6 and in the inlet tract to valve nr. 11 are from this broken valve guide in cyl nr. 4 (valve nr. 7, exhaust valve).

B) When I took the cylinder head apart I noticed that many (not all, but maybe 60-70%) of the valves were slightly stuck in the guides. I had to use more force than normal to force the valves out of the guides. At the time I thought it was because cooling fluid had entered the head though cylinder nr. 4.

but it may be this was due to oil starvation in the first place.

C) Now that I have (thanks to your suggestions and Alan Gibbins in the UK) new wicks inside my rockers and a brand new rocker shaft and new bronze bushes reamed to spec on it and I could see how nicely the oil holes in the shaft aligned with the rockers.

Not the case in my old shaft! I have no idea how it’s possible that many of the oil holes have been covered by the bushes, in some case the shaft has a “flat” so maybe someone tried to make it work that way, so the oil would find it’s way onto the rockers?

D) The old felt wick inside some of the rockers was a very hard black thing that was difficult to take out. Those were the same rockers that showed considerable wear in the end that touches the valve stems.

Also it puzzled me a bit that on some rockers I could easily push the new wick in with my fingers, but a few were so tight I had to use pliers and a Torx 20 screw driver to push them in (and in the second to last case at 11 PM at home I accidentally pierced my LH middle finger with that tool! Outch! But thank God, it’s alright, just some blood spilled, but no permanent damage) so it would appear the rockers are from different batches.

Also the cast numbers on them, (below that tilted rectangle) range from 4 to 24.

And to top it off, I appear to have SEVEN pcs of C437 and only FIVE pcs of C438.
I put it back that way, but as also pushrod nr. 10 is very slightly bent (I could see it when I spin in, that it is not perfectly straight).

Anyone know where I could easily source a new or good straight second hand pushrod and one C438 rocker?

So in the near future I would replace those two items (one rocker and one pushrod) in my now nicely running engine, perhaps in the spring when I would retighten the head and then I would need to remove the rocker shaft anyways. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Ps. Good timing to get the car home on Saturday, as the weather changed a bit yesterday and now looks more like this:

(darn iPhone, I don’t know why it ends up coming up sideways…)

Hi,

So with those observations, my theory of the breakdown is this:

While we were doing ca 60+ mph uphill and got to a tunnel at the top, the exhaust valve nr. 7, inside cyl nr. 4 got stuck, then the piston nr. 4 kissed it, perhaps one or a couple of times and the “plate” broke off the exhaust valve.

That was felt by me as a small “miss” and I switched the engine off. I should have left it that way. Once I tried to restart the engine, it sounded like all hell broke loose, sounded like I had a concrete mixer instead of an engine in the front of the car and changed to neutral and switched ignition back off. Once we stopped the engine was stuck and the car was flat bedded back to the cottage (cost 213,- euros).

What had already happened before, or right after I tried to restart the engine was that the broken off valve was beaten into a lump, it went through the cylinder wall and the piston broke into pieces (but the remains of it as well as the gudgeon pin all stayed on the connecting rod. Then the rod and broken off piston, got stuck against the cylinder block, but fortunately no further damage to the block and cylinder head!

I have some of the pieces at the cottage, the valve part that found inside the water channel, the pieces of the cylinder wall that were found inside the water channel in the. block and some of the other broken pieces, one tappett broken in half, one valve guide broken into pieces and a piston broken into small bits. (I will measure the remaining cylinder wall thickness some day for your curiosity and as some sort of a data point.

Cheers!

In iPhones, you can edit the orientation.

Put them in a frame, then pour clear Lucite over them… VOILA!

Wall art!

Hi Pekka, congrats on the overall progress. I will check my supplies in the next day or two for the rockers and pushrods

1 Like

That would probably be because the parts were cast in a multi part die where at least 24 items were cast simultaneously, it’s so that if one of the parts becomes malformed the die maker can identify which part of the mould needs to be repaired.

Hi Paul,

I know, and btw I’m an ex Apple support person and ex AAR. :slight_smile:

It shows up right on my Photos and on the screen of the phone before I use the upload function of the forum. Then it’s tilted 90 deg CCW, I tried it three times with different image size settings, always came up sideways, weird, huh?

Ahhh, that’s very clever! :slight_smile:

But then I guess just by coincidence I have many with 22, 23 and 24. :slight_smile:

And then it would appear that the wick size also changed, or just the hole size, I did not measure them, only noticed that ca 6-8 went in easy and 4-6 took more effort, so much that I got sloppy and pierced my finger! :-o

Cheers!

Thanks again all, just a small thing, when I said running a bit late would do no harm, well it did no harm to the engine, but the old exhaust silencer did not like it!

So much for being an expert, eh?

:grimacing:

It was weak. It needed replacing.

:wink:

Hi,

Exactly, I just gave up!

1 Like

Yeah, and it went with a loud ”BANG!”

:smiley:

1 Like

Hi Pekka, I have a handful of new old stock C.438 and a handful of used C.438. I also have a gaggle of pushrods.

For the pushrods, please look at photo here to determine which type you wish. These were taken out of Mark V engines. You may see the slightly different end designs. Also one design is about 1/16" longer than the other, 11 9/16" versus 11 10/16". I’ve not measured them carefully in this moment. Plenty of used in either type.

I will send you an email in the next day as I have some unrelated questions to ask you. You can think about what you need and reply back to my email.