3.4 Engine Block Repair

My CopyCats C-type replica came with a core matching head and block numbers XK140MC engine in it. It is seized hard. I removed the head today to get a look at the cylinder condition and it is bad. #4 cylinder has a broken cylinder wall and #3 is cracked. I have no idea of the crank condition yet. The bottom end might well be a fish tank. The head has at least one bent valve. I would love to use this engine in the C-type if it can be repaired.
Can the 3.4 block be sleeved for a repair? I suppose I will start with having the cylinder head rebuilt and then try for a bottom end rebuild.
Any ideas how this kind of damage could have occurred?

Mark

I’d be looking for a new block. The only way I can see that happening is the bores were full of water and froze? Never seen anything like it.

Almost assuredly freeze damage, and I agree: it’s time for a new block.

2 Likes

nothing else but freezing could have done that

That block is over and done

there will be bad news on the crank.

Thrust washer bearing surfaces are very difficult to machine.

On a similar engine I dismantled, water ingress had caused corrosion on this vital spot,

otherwise excellent crank is irreparable

Thanks guys, I was kind of expecting that. I will try to repair the C head though. I do have a 3.8 bottom end I can use. If the C head can’t be repaired I have an E head I can use on it.

I’m curious to know, when can a block be sleeved, and when can a block not be sleeved? Is there some criterion?

I’m sure that could be repaired if it was some ultra rare, irreplaceable gem, but at a cost, obviously. I suspect 3.8 liners could be fitted reasonably easily, but as mentioned, below deck may in bad shape too. If it was needed in a matching numbers rarity, but in this case it’s not. Plenty of substitutes available.

If the cylinders have freeze damage that bad the exterior water jackets will almost certainty be cracked. Magnaflux or penetrant dye will pick that up. You will also need to check the cylinder head. It’s likely warped. You need a different engine.

1 Like

Maybe upgrade to a 3.8 block? I have two spares. I’ll make a deal!

Thanks Tim, but I have a 3.8 in stock! And a 4.2 E-type short block if anyone needs one.

Ok, I was hoping to give it away. Unfortunately that’s what they are worth, unless you’re in dire need of one.