3.8 Starter Motor Mounting?

I’m trying to piece together everything I need to assemble the bellhousing for my C-type replica. I have a later 60s 4speed OD trans going on a 3.8 engine.
I seem to remember there is a steel plate that goes between the starter and bellhousing when mounting the starter. Is this accurate for the 3.8? Or is it 4.2 only?
Thanks

Hi Mark…spigot plate used when mounting a 4.2 starter to a 4.2 bellhouseing…what bellhouseing and starter/flywheel are you useing…you cant mix a 3.8/4.2 without a bit of thought…and what flywheel…3.8 or 4.2… different number of teeth… Steve

It is all 3.8 with original flywheel, transmission, starter, and bell housing. I want to be sure just the 4.2 used that spigot plate and that I don’t need it for the 3.8

Hi Mark…the plate was not used on the 3.8 E type…but as far as i know it was used on the 3.8 S type…basically the spigot plate attaches to the bellhouseing with 2 ring dowles so there are larger recessed holes in the bellhouseing for the dowles to fit in …what is your 3.8 from and what type of starter…easy way is to actually measure bellhouseing face to flywheel…and starter face to toothed pinion when at rest and when thrown out…Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve, I don’t have the flywheel here, it is at the machine shop being resurfaced. It has 104 teeth. Here is a pic of my bellhousing. I don’t see larger holes for dowels, so no spigot plate needed. The starter is from a 3.8 E-type. The trans w/bellhousing is from a later all synchro Mk2.

1 Like

Dowels and spigot plate go together. And that means it’s not a 4.2 behhousing, and not a 4.2 flywheel, so you use a not-4.2 starter and all is good.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks guys. Everything is a learning process when you’re building a car from scratch.

1 Like