307 differential wanted

E type 70 S2 OTS looking for a 307 differential. Currently have a 354 looking to purchase or exchange or if anyone knows who could do a rebuild for me in south east Fl please let me know

Charles,

I see you joined the forum 1 hours ago. Welcome! The forum has a special section for Sale and Wanted information. Click on “Classifieds” at the top of the main page.

-David

Here is an alternative you might consider:

Coventry West sells a rebuilt 3.058 (no LSD/Powr Lok) that drops right in. Very robust.

It was a straight-forward installation, just swapped everything over from the old to the new:

Have enjoyed about 16,000 miles of cruising with it.

2 Likes

Charles- the E-Type differentials are common to many cars (Dana or Salsbury) and I found that a competent 4-wheel drive shop can convert the 3.54 to another ratio fairly easily. The parts are still available with the exception of the input shaft with the correct u-joint adapter but that too can be overcome (I did it). I have no idea about South Florida mechanics but since this is not an E-type specific problem I’m sure you can find someone.

Contact Dick Maury at Coventry West and discuss it with him. I bought my 3.058 diff from him and I’m really happy with it.

http://www.coventrywest.com/

Edit: I see Geo also mentioned Coventry West. The ebay ad in his post is from Coventry West.

I purchased a flange (Jaguar) style coupling with the DANA 44 spline from I.W.E in Vancouver

www.iwerearendsonly.com

Contact Dick Maury at Coventry West…East of Atlanta about 15 miles…no connection other than a very satisfied customer over several years…

Coventry West

2101 Randall Road Lithonia, GA 30058

Toll Free…….1-800-331-2193

Local…………770-484-6500

Fax……………770-484-1419

I see these swaps mentioned all the time, and I just wonder, if the 3.54 is posi-trac. or pwr-loc or what ever the jag term is and the 3.07 variants are not. are you giving up something for the other and is it a big deal?

admittedly my style of driving doesn’t require posi trac. I don’t drive on anything but nice pavement and my tire smoking days are long gone.

truthfully I wouldn’t mind dropping the revs a bit myself. someday maybe I can get a ride in someones car with a 3.07. but then it might just make me really want one!!

Bob,
If you have a 3.54 and like me, you just keep on wishing you had another gear, there’s seems to be only two ways to rectify that…invest in the 5spd conversion, or get the 3.07 which is what I did several years ago. Had someone do it for me, cost about $1500 bucks all in as far as I can recall…best bang for the buck I’ve ever spent on the car…just my opinion of course.

Thanks Les,
yes, more than occasionally I am looking for 5th gear it seems. its one of the reasons I avoid a lot of Interstate driving. I know these engines were designed for high revs etc, but I just feel things are a little frantic at 75 mph on a 50 year old engine thats original.

On my “someday” list is dropping the IRS to clean things up and address a bunch of little things. I suspect at that time I will look for a 3.07 variant.

I just wondered if I am losing posi-trac bragging rights or if it really doesnt matter.

Bob

Tweety would run 75 mph, at ~3000 rpm. It was a delight!

On the street? VERY little.

No, there is nothing inherent in going to a 3.07 that changes the limited slip feature.

But the swap I (and perhaps others) have done involve a 3.058 diff from an XJ that was non-posi.

At less than $900 including shipping (outright, no core or exchange) it was a low-buck easy swap to get favorable gearing for the highway cruising I do a lot of.

Possibly not for everyone but ideal for my needs.

PS - If anybody wants that 3.54 I removed (was working fine) it is free to a good home.

1 Like

yah, I figure as much. most of the cars of my youth were not posi trac. and I grew up in the snow, so I know the limits and so forth.

The 3.058 unit I bought from Coventry West is limited slip. The only differences between it and the original is the gearing and the ability to bolt the rear calipers directly to the pumpkin instead of the brackets that were on the original.

I agree with Geo, Les and the others, unless your life revolves around 0-60 times the lower numerical diff is a huge improvement in everyday usage.

I took my S II from 3.54 posi to 3.07 using a DANA gearset. Here are couple of pics showing the #'s - (43:14 ratio) if that helps. Well worth the change to longer legs.

1 Like

Contacted those folks last week, sounds good but I was attempting to get a power lock. Have you noticed any change in performance with your purchase?

“…Contacted those folks last week, sounds good but I was attempting to get a power lock. Have you noticed any change in performance with your purchase?..”

Not sure who you’re asking Charles but if it’s me then I can say the car runs great. Difference in performance?..well I suppose the numbers say there has to be be, taller gearing, but if you drive the car similar to how I do (cruising with the occasional spirited driving) then I can say the change is nothing but an overall benefit, makes the car a real pleasure to drive…25mph per 1000 rpm, so 3000 @ 75mph, which oddly enough is almost exactly the same as my wife’s Mazda 6 and my 2003 911.

1 Like

I assume this is the V6 Mazda 6? The wifes Atenza (Jap import) runs 100kph @3000rpm :frowning:

“…I assume this is the V6 Mazda 6?..”

Sorry, yes it is/was, she no longer has the car…nice car too!