350 miles in a G this afternoon-evening

These cars are just incredibly comfortable and hold the road like a gokart. Amazing. Far better than my (father´s) old S-type. I do 75 MPH on the motorway at 2750 on 4th which is OD on the brilliant ZF box. Fuel consumption, if that ever mattered on a classic car, is about 12L/100 km and it´s quiet inside. Ferrari talked proudly of their LWB models, but the Mk10 is THE car when it comes to long wheel base. I think it´s a very handsome car from all angles. Got my first one in 1988, and am now working on a MOD version. It´s strange that they have such a narrow group of aficionados.
I did the same trip, but heading south, two days ago, in a 150 FHC. Now that is ancient motoring compared to the Mk10.

1 Like

I own a VIIM and a IX.

Gorgeous car. Came close to buying a nice example but it had some perforation issues on some unibody rails and at the time I didn’t do metal work, walk in the park now.

The MKX and 420G’s were amazing vehicles though the lines didn’t appeal to everyone. I remember them using one in the Thunderbird puppet cartoon regularly.

Personally, not sure which model I prefer, as long as the wood doesn’t have that leather/vinyl patch overlay on the dash. These cars received the best woodwork as it was sort of the last stand for their woodworkers that had achieved significant experience in their craft.

Have noticed the color can make or break the car, especially if two toned. Prefer the 15" wheel mod. Ferrari used the same people for their OD equipped cars.

I think the ingress/egress is better on the Big Cats like the MKVII, MKVIII, MKIX but the MKX feels more like a sports Tourer with 4 doors. I feel somewhat odd shifting a MKVII, debating a GM 700R4, plus air at least was an option on the X’s.

Drove a 420G that’d a tight setup but it was nice, lots of handling mods that worked.

Did any of them ever have steel sunroofs from the factory?

My first car was a '69 420G. I was 15, it had been the family car, but it had what @Lovell so sublimely calls “perforation issues”. It took me until nearly 17 to fix most of the rust and get it past the MOT. All of the other gearheads were restoring the pony cars their fathers had had. They could go to a local shop and buy whatever they needed… I fabricated most parts. I learnt a lot from that car, much of it how not to do stuff. It was the first interior that I refinished - it had acres of veneer. I needed money when I went to university so I sold it (and bought a Honda civic for 100$).

A great car. Mine was automatic, with A/C. Silver on Black with Red interior. When I was looking for a project here I wanted either an MOD Mark X, or an S.

Peder is a true MK X/420G aficionado . I think he is trying to corner the market on them. How may do you have now?

Micah