3D Printed XLS Lucas Amplifier Plug

Hi Everyone,

My XLS had a crumbling Lucas Amplifier connector. I spent a great deal of time finding and then modifying one from an auto parts store, but wasn’t very happy with it. Recently, I received a 3D printer as a birthday gift. I began learning CAD and decided to design a connector as a training project. It turned out fantastic! I’m wondering if any other XLS owners are facing a similar issue and if it would be worth making it available on eBay? Here are a few photos and drawings. Let me know what you think. The capture groove captures the tang on the connector so it won’t pull out and can also be used to extract the connector. The jams keep the connector from moving forward.

3 Likes

Well done Ken,

I assume you’ve used ABS/PETG filament here?
You will find various 3d-printed components for XJS on eBay, most of these - overpriced.

Welcome in the era of Fusion360 and budget 3d printers!
Here’s one for you:

Just drop me PM if you need STL file.

Live Long and Prosper.

1 Like

Nice! Wish I could afford 360. I’m an Autocad 2D guy so it would probably be a good fit for me. I’m using Onshape because it’s free, I heard that the personal version of 360 is not as good. Do you know if it is suitable for 3D printing or would I need the pay version?

This first connector was PLA because that’s what I currently have (only had my printer up and running for a few days). I’ll probably order some ABS and print a proper one then get some PETG when I need it.

I sure could have used that tool! I used a sprinkler coupling I had sitting around with a couple of grooves cut into it. Got the job done but definitely could have used your tool! That would be great to get the STL file! I’ll reply from my email.

Fyi, my connector from distributor to ignition box was also in bad shape. A few years ago, i was able to buy a new one from SNG. $40 if i recall.

Hi Greg,

They don’t appear to have them anymore. I wasn’t able to find any online, either.

I see it on there website. $36. Part DAC3247. In stock.

Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out.

Ken,

Fusion360 is free for non-commercial use. You don’t want to be anywhere close to PLA, especially with electric connectors. Your aim is polycarbonate with ABS as standard - and PETG as absolute minimum…

1 Like

I heard that the free version of Fusion360 is not a complete version like the paid one. If anyone could tell me if the free version supports 3D design and STL, that would be helpful. PLA was just for the prototyping. I ordered ABS for the final version.

Free Fusion360 has more options than any software ever - supplied free, this includes features like metric and imperial thread modelling full support of model creation, stl export, stl import etc. All you will ever need and more. The bits like model fatigue testing and advanced CAM programming are paid. Recommended, recommended, reecooommendeed…

1 Like

Okay, I’ll give it a shot. I’m a little frustrated with the learning curve for Onshape. Would be interested to see how Fusion compares.

Why do you say “you don’t want to be anywhere close to PLA” ?
What’s the problem with it?
Thanks.

ABS has a 30-40 degree higher melting point making it more suitable for under-hood applications. PLA could melt in some under-hood situations, particularly when turbochargers are involved.

1 Like

It’s fake plastic, good for kids and crafting. It will melt in direct sun, not mentioning engine bay’s conditions. People are using it as it is a good poo to capture shape, sometimes good for rigid moulds etc. You can print PLA on everything, apparenrly inneco-friendly way, but it is more toxic than PETG. Have a look at glass transition temperature for 3d printing filaments - everything will become clear.

1 Like