4.2l over bore?

How much is to big to over bore a 1987 series 3 XK6 4.2l? The machine shop is at .015 over and don’t think it will clean up honing it to .020 over. Will any more get into the slots? Blow the head gasket?
Are there liners that can be installed? Are they worth the cost? Thanks in advance.

ProQuest (Dean)
Spare 1987 XK6 for overhaul (maybe)
1983 donor for Aristocat kit
1993 XJ40

Find out what pistons are available first

.030" are reasonably common, I have a set (in case I need an overbore)

Liners with a stepped lip are available, and work well if done properly, talk to machine shop. It returns to standard size and repairs/prevents cracking between bores

I was quoted $A1200 many years ago to install liners

I have seen other sizes, .020, .040, .060"

Tony,
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better incase I have to go 30 over. More than that I will do lipped liners or have them check my other block.
Dean

The machine shop I use rebuilds lot of Jag engines. They Never overbore a 4.2. They only replace the liners so the cooling lots can get properly cleaned. This picture is with the liner removed.

This place is in Colorado.

Thanks, the photo and video look great and promising.
Can liners be put in the slotted type head from 1987 4.2L?
My machine shop is squeamish about going 0.30 over and say that they don’t have machinery to do liners. I have a 1983 engine that I am going to break down and see if it will be useable. I hope I can make something work.
Dean

Yes of course but maybe the 83 is easier for you

Is there any truck engine rebuilders nearby, they do liners, more so than cars