4 speed transmission issue

Attempting to disassemble a 120 or 140 4 speed trans but have been unable to remove the constant pinion shaft from the front of the case. Have referred to manual p F.18 and it says to have a “cut away” of the front toothed gear on top and bottom and to drive the main shaft forward so as to knock the constant pinion shaft out of the case. I’ve hit the rear of the main shaft hard several times and it feels solid with no give. The top is off the case, the front bearing is loose and moved forward and rear bearing is out. I have also tried prying the gear with two large levers and nothing gives. I can rotate the gears so nothing is hung up. Any advise on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Have you dropped the countershaft?

Bob. Thanks so much for the response. That was the problem. As soon as I drove out the countershaft, the pinion shaft became off. You are the master and I appreciate it.

When you get to the point of assembly, you will want to make a dummy countershaft to hold the needle bearings in place, rather than the thin rod mentioned in the Service Manual. I use a 1" wood dowel rod cut to the inside dimension of the case minus 1/16".

Thanks for that tip Rob, but I will not be reassembling it. I have a new
CJs 5 speed I am installing and they advised me I could use the input shaft
as an alignment tool for the clutch disc as I was having difficult getting
a perfect alignment with a universal tool. Because the tip of the shaft of
the 5 speed is machined smaller, there is not a specific tool for it. They
told me the original shaft could be used to get it close, but it this was
wrong as the shaft splines were much larger than the clutch disc they
provide with the trans, so I ended up with a bunch of wasted work.
Finally, after many hours of struggle, I must have gotten lucky, or it was
just my time, and I got the trans and bell housing connected to the
engine. A job that should have taken perhaps 15 minutes with the proper
tool, ended up taking hours. And while I don’t curse, there were plenty of
words circulating in my brain that I am glad no one could hear.

Thanks again for your help. You are a treasure to those of use working on
these cars.