420 Linkage Manual Vs. Automatic

Sorry to intrude as I have an XJ, but the engine in the 420 (not G) should be mostly identical to mine, and I was wondering about a difference between manual and automatic cars:

The outdoor picture shows the automatic linkage. The manual version in the indoors photo (the drawings in the parts book make the distinction and list the separate parts) has a drive dog instead of by a second flexible coupling.

Does the 420 have the same varying arrangement, or not? If they do not discriminate, do they use the dog or the spring?
I canā€™t understand why they would be different at all. Thank you!

David

I dunno, but I have the chance to inspect (again), and possibly buy, a 420

It would have to be cheap, it has issues, but the best bit is it belongs to the mother of the GF that has shot through, leaving it at the homeowners place

He wants it gone, and we get on great since just meeting. I can offer them all a way out

Trouble is the owner MIL) has completely unrealistic view of value, it was for sale at $16k and she turned down $4k

I will not offer not one cent more than $2k

There is one for sale in the Club soon, full respray, new leather, needs a fair bit of assembling, I could possibly get that for 4-5k

See what happens.

f they mention the $4k, I will say ā€œYou should sell it to him then, and I will buy this oneā€ (show pics of resprayed one)

I think theyā€™re perfect, look very good, sound good, strong engine, solid construction, beautiful interior, and good size, only a little tight in the engine bay but if I ever find one complete for that price Iā€˜m buying it! I hope you can save it for a good price.

Go on! you know you want it and I have the brake parts you need!

2 Likes

I think the difference in linkage might be more to do with the type of choke setup on the XJ. Early cars used the ASC (hisser), later ones used AED, ( automatic enrichment device) AFAIK, all 420s used the ASC, so would have just used the concertina linkage. In short, linkage type depends on whether carbs are HS8s or HD8s. I think, prepared to be corrected :thinking:

No, both for HD8 with hisser! They do the same and same engine number range! This is why Iā€˜d like to know what could possibly be the reasonā€¦

All 420 would have HD8, with ASC

I will have a look in the engine bay

One is a 68, the other a 66-7, (has smooth covers) both matching nums

The one that is very nearby is original paint Old English white

The resprayed one is magnificent in metallic maroon

As I said, both have ā€œissuesā€ The white one starts in reverse gear, and only shifts N, R

The shifter is jammed, its a BW8, in which I would consider myself an ā€œexpertā€ as I have one in my 420G, and have taken one completely apart, and used that knowledge to repair mine

They had it at the best shops in town, and its like this, no brakes either, cloth interior, rear bumper needs chrome, fuel tanks out, cant be started, and would be dangerous to do so without trans issue sorted

I still have a dud RH hand, and my LH isnā€™t liking the extra work so mechanics has been out for 8 weeks, just starting back

Just had a closer look at the diagram and I see what you mean now. I think the throttle mechanism at the rear has a bracket for the kickdown; whether that bracket is different to the manual ones Iā€™m not sure, but it could be related. Still, the change is between the carbs, so no idea of the point of it, unless it gives a stronger grip on the shafts than the clamp setup, WRT perhaps more stress on the linkage with the kickdown. Just guessing though.

Thanks Andrew.

I would like one, and its reassuring to know a fellow Oz has the parts, as it shares many brake parts with certain E-types

It probably wont be much, as they spent thousands at the brake shop. I just start at the top and bleed my way down, if something does not work, I take it apart

This one is 2 miles up the road.

My 420G has spent its entire life in my village.

I bought it for $2k in the year 2000, had been in a shed in the next street, unknown to me, for 10 years.

I am its 4th owner

Your guesses are appreciated, unfortunately the linkage doesnā€™t give an explanation as everything related to kickdown happens before the carbs, and the ā€šdouble concertinaā€˜ setup works great with the manual box, there reais no difference I can tell yet there must have been a reasonā€¦

That is a hard decision, both colours look great on the 420, and I usually hate white.- probably a jammed linkage and neutral safety switch, nothing internal, easy fix? I wish I had such cars cheap&close, there was a 420 in the area about 10 years ago but it was stood on grass for too long and probably not salvageable, certainly not for me back then.

It is a hard decision

I to dislike white, but it is a good color for a) Oz heat, b) hire/wedding car

I cant work out what so-called pros have done withā€¦for $7k.
There is receipts, but I did not look at them

Its downright dangerous, and should not be able to start in gear, as there is a NSS

(It is chained to a hoist to demo for prospective buyers :grimacing:)

My plan is to disconnect the linkage at the box, and see if the selector lever on the GB will move through each gear, matching my BW8s

If so, I can fix it

The metallic maroon vehicle ( is a Jag color, cant remember the specific exact name)

The paint, although home done, is really excellent, the leather I have not seen, but is apparently grey, I would prefer red or black, the interior needs complete installation.

Its mostly new

The current owner pulled all the inside cabin gearbox linkages and steering wheel, as he intended to swap in a Jag MOD, which he has.

It has no working brakes, and ohā€¦he said the matching head seems to be warped, as it leaked trans fluid he put in the cylinders

If I could get the package for $4-5k, I probably would take it, I know he got if as at a very low price, uncompleted resto, he would be ahead

I could probably ā€œflipā€ either, if I wanted to, but it would be a lot of work, and doubling or tripling my money means nothing, wish they were E-types :rage:

What kind of talk is that? :slight_smile: Expect the XJ was probably more advanced than many other Jaguar models at their introduction. Most people (even here) donā€™t know how good they really are.

1 Like

I agree. In fact @davidsxj6 should go back and edit out the word ā€œonlyā€ :grinning:

I had a SWB S1 XJ6 and a DDS VDP, the pre-electronic vehicles are fairly easy to repair

Itā€˜s a wonderful car, later cars are a bit lacking in charme or quality sometimes and thatā€™s the XJs most people know, but that little word has nothing to do up there, youā€™re absolutely right!

It is a SWB (that still came with the BW8) and I had very few reliability issues which were mostly my fault, almost everything is original, and I will not be able to sell it any time soon, although I would like to have a Mk2 based car one day. The XJ is just more modern which is both good and bad. Iā€˜d choose it above anything else. The first time I saw a Series 1 XJ (PHP42G) I was in love. I knew I needed one and eventually had to get rid of my Series 3.
I had a somewhat similar feeling in an S Type, and the 420 to me is the one to have. Even more solid construction, far less rationalized. One day a good one will turn up (mostly original, brake and engine trouble, in need of love, not too expensive) and until then I am very happy with to me one of the best cars ever made period. When that day comes the Mercedes might have to go.

Now if I could understand why the linkage is different on manual carsā€¦ it really bugs me.

Iā€˜ve finally found a proper catalogue scan of the 420 (Martin Robey) and it does not list different parts. Iā€˜ll try them because I have them but I donā€™t see them making a difference.

I have lots of linkage parts, check the 4.2 MKX Parts Manual, same trans.

I have completely customized my throttle and kickdown arrangement, so I cannot be definitive on how the kickdown was activated on my 420G before I changed it all up.

It would take some extra sturdiness to control the kickdown, so imo, your hypothesis is sound

As to a swb S1 XJ6 vs 420.

My opinion is the former is destined to be a classic car, values will rise gradually

The 420 is just a bit to difficult for most to manage, only a genuine enthusiast, so less likely to become a genuine classic

I would not part with my S1 XJ ā€¦or my DDS, if I still had them, and I had a massive secure enclosed storage area, which I did have at one time, but they always fill up, no matter how big they are, and land is just so valuable now.

Most people dont know Macdonalds is more a real estate enterprise than a hamburger joint