420G manual conversion

after careful consideration I have opted to convert my 420G to manual with overdrive. I was lucky to stumble onto a series 1 xj6 manual, very scarce but beyond saving. I am in the process of stripping her down and use whatever I can to make the conversion right. will keep you posted.

That will make a huge difference to your driving experience, I did the same conversion about 25 years ago to my 3.8 ‘S’ enjoy.

If Micah is still on the list, he should serve as an invaluable resource as he did a back to the bones restoration on one of these big cats.

This link may still be active:

https://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=32551&part=3

Micah went with a FIVE speed and skipped the OD problems.

Gerard

The transmission tunnel has to be bigger on either the MOD or the Auto trans, of course I forget which.
P.

The auto has the larger tunnel.

My thoughts would be to enlarge the tunnel and use a shifter from an XJ-6 if going automatic; eliminating the complexities of the column shifter. I think someone could easily fabricate a new shifter housing boot if going to a manual. You might want to consider installing cup holders since you’ll have a wider tunnel. Might add some optional switches too; it never stops! Install Noico to absorb noise and heat while you have it apart.

Gerard

No need to enlarge the tunnel the auto is larger than the manual car so the manual will fit with only having to cut the gear lever aperture. (Hole sounds too agricultural)