5 Speed Boxes for 150

Chuck
I finally went with a 5speed from The Driven Man, at a total cost including a drive shaft of $7300cdn
but that was four years ago.
As I only had a four speed with no O/D originally, the car now has a new life and is fabulous to drive, no first gear whining or crashing into first from second.
However Pat does have a point re only 72 Auto 150/s made and only 7 remaining.
If you sell the car with the 5 speed its not an easy swap back to Auto as pedals and hand controls clutch reservoirs and some tunnel repair is involved. I believe the exhaust front pipes are different also.
I doubt however a new owner would re-install the auto box once they drive a 150 with a 5 speed. but as long as it stays with the car wherever it travels, at least that’s something.

Chuck
Your car by the way was built on 28 August 1958. Registered as a 1959.
Car number 831221 is in Indonesia.

Wow. My 150 is S831241BW built in 1 Sep 1958. That is 19 cars after yours. I imagine they were both on the assembly line together. I bought mine from Gullwing in 2000. They bought up a collection that hadn’t moved in 30 years. Mine was pretty but nothing worked; not even the cigar lighter! Bob Oates, now passed, was instrumental in helping me get it back on the road.

I am in exactly the same position as you. My father took our 140 completely apart and then decided to restore his E-Type instead. After he passed, I found myself trying to restore and put back together a car I did not take apart. XK 140 Explored saved my bacon. I spent many a day with several parts in front of me flipping through the pages looking for something familiar. And the smaller the part, the greater the challenge. I like to view it as a huge puzzle he left behind for me to solve wondering if I was up to it.

I installed a Welsh Enterprises supplied Cosworth based MT75 about eight years ago in my 140 DHC. I had RX Autoworks do it and they installed it from the cockpit without removing the engine. The 140 and 150 have no tranny mounts, so this is a good solution. Including removal and reinstallation of the interior it was done in two days. The Welsh unit bolts right up to the bellhousing and uses the Jag clutch with a different friction plate. The same unit used to be sold by Broad but incurred duties when shipped. I have had great service from the transmission and the gearing works well with the 3.54 differential, 2000 rpm at 65 mph. Replace the clutch and machine the flywheel while your in there. If you’re near Vancouver come and see it

Your puzzle comment is interesting I refer to my project as the 3D puzzle without a picture. I have an older XK Unlimited Catalog ( before Moss). that has been very helpful along with a number of other references. Do not have XK Explored do they make one for the 150. I have also spent many an hour identifying parts most have been tag. Car is 90%+ complete from a parts stand point. Still trying to identify a number very small parts and special fasteners. I have found a lot of similarities between series there seems to less and less documentation of change as the series got newer. Comments.

Sorry gave you the wrong Chassis number: Correct is 831222 BW one digit off. The rest of the information you stated matches what I have.
Gear Box no. 5222-15 Auto.

Thank you for the reminder on the exhaust. When I bought the new exhaust system I did have to specify auto or manual. One expense to added to the conversion. Your price seems about right for the time - had price of $7500 back then. I have been procrastinating the transmission decision for sometime. Do know anyone who has driven or drives and OTS with an auto? I’m afraid the driving experience is going to be disappointing.

Chuck
I restored a 150 fhc several years ago, it was a 3.8 auto and was very fast and very smooth on the highway, kick down response was phenomenal.
Morris

Chuck
Yes there is an XK Explored book for the 150, all my 150 pals call it The Bible , the most expensive book l have ever purchased but after using it for two years it is well worth the purchase price, there is so much information, however there are several mistakes but nothing too major, but the graphics are awesome. I congratulate the authors.
M

If converting a XK140 to 5 speed Trans, do you retain the Mechanical Clutch Leakage or need to switch to Cable or Hydraulic Clutch?

Brad
As far as I know all you would have to do is retain the bell housing and mechanical clutch operating system of the 140 and transfer it onto the 5 speed.

Correct. The Welsh unit doesn’t even need an adaptor plate.

Have you considered the >1965 all synchro box plus OD?
I have that in both a 140 and 150. Gives a more period feel than my 140 wth a T-5, though the latter is a pure delight to drive