5 SPEED CONVERSION / DRIVEN MAN / XK's or GUY BROAD?

A LSR ratio…!!!

Presume you have a long wheelbase car and you used the matching flywheel, clutch and starter? Did the gearstick come out where the auto selector was?

Getting ready
The trans should come out by Friday
The word on the drivenman is they had issues with the input shafts
I have heard this from all suppliers or installers
So unless fixed that’s out
Sng is working on the historic box
And we move on
Gtjoey1314

I think I’m gonna start taking action, on when the car is completely apart…:wink:

Messin’ witcha, GTJ!

Pascal, I would like to ask again, what method is used?
Tom

I haven’t done it but the box can be dropped without pulling the engine. I guess by removing the drive shaft

I understand. You have a LWB so I can understand that you could remove the gearbox without the engine, but your post said you could access the clutch without removing the gearbox. I thought there may have been some version of a quick change clutch that was included, but I would have been surprised.
Thanks,
Tom

1 Like

Here’s Dick’s description of the process in the Series 3: TransmissionV12
Cheers,
LLynn

Define “completely apart”…does the glass have to come out, and engine frames off? :wink:

1 Like

glass out…:slight_smile:

Well seems as ALL the t5/tremec boxes are on hold for bad parts in the box?
Anyone else hear the same?
gtjoey1314

That seems to be the case. Except for the T5 that XKs/Moss has in the new catalogue. Who’s box is this? For the SWB E just uses a adapter plate for bell housing and you supply drive shaft. Historic motorsports has a T5 but have not had any luck researching this one!
Glenn

I was at the Race Retro show in UK on Sunday and bought a T5-Jag adapter plate from Elite Racing transmissions. They seemed to have plenty of stock.

Can you not use the TKO600 in an e-type?? It fitted in my xjs…??

Im not sure with the stick location …
The issue when I call MY transmission guys or dealers , its the actual parts in the BOX.
Inpt shaft, bearings and other things are FAILING, Like right away failing.
Im not in the mood to take the whole car apart again when done.
A batch from 2 years ago were supposedly fine, but it was the last year of tremec boxes that are built UNDER PAR.
SO now we wait.
GTJOEY1314

I regularly keep up with the blog on Classic Jaguar’s website and noticed that in their latest posted project they will be using a “TCJ five speed transmission” into an XK140. They have not offered a 5-speed for some time now. Does anyone know of any new developments from them?

Same no new news…

Attempts to use a unit built in Mexico

But no answers on reliability

An XK doesn’t use the short tail shaft housing of an E-type, so the T5 variant needed is a very different animal.

They simply use the Mustang style tail housing, and presumably the more off-the-shelf internals that go along with it.

I would find this surprising, since Dan Mooney offered only the CJ/Medatronics T5 before production stopped. He wasn’t willing to put any other T5 in. He did make an exception for the Broadsport MT75-based 5-speed, though.

I don’t think you understood what I’m saying.

Look at this listing for a T5-based swap for the Xk120-150. The transmission has the long, standard Borg-Warner tail shaft housing, just like any off-the-shelf T5 you can buy for a Mustang, Camaro, etc. It even uses a Mustang style slip-yoke.

As a result, all you need to do to install that transmission in a Jag is produce in input shaft that mates to the Jag clutch disc, or (more likely), find a clutch disc with the Mustang spline that’s the right diameter for the Jag flywheel and pressure plate.

This is a WAY easier kit to produce than the E-type gearbox, which requires a short tail shaft housing, shortened internals, and an output flange. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Medatronics can still produce the Xk120-150 kits, while being unable to produce the E-type kits.

https://xks.com/i-6917667-jaguar-5-speed-kit-xk-120-xk-140-xk-150-37-1086.html