50 year old belt tensioner bearing is noisy

Last week, I had my S2 idling in the driveway. I was logging top tank temperatures and gauge readings. Suddenly a rattle started. Thought it might be the alternator, but it was the tensioner on the waterpump belt.

Are these rebuildable with a new bearing? The usuals sell a new pulley and bearing. They’re kinda expensive for what you get.

I haven’t been able to get the bearing out yet. May have to spend the money.

While I’m at it, what are the best V belts?

You probably know but… there is a provision for lubing that bearing via a grub screw:

I just use a Gates belt from the FLAPS:

Yes you can rebuild it. You need to press out the old bearing and replace it. I did this once and needed to use 2 narrower bearings and I think I turned the shaft down a little. Grub screw and Loctite to hold it.

Of course, you can just remove it completely and go with a slightly shorter belt which IMO is far more sensible. This is what I did on my current 3.8 resto.

How do you tension it w/o the jockey pulley?

Or is there a belt long enough that you can force over the pulleys yet tight enough that it does not slip?

Or do you also eliminate the alternator belt, change the alternator pulley alignment and use one belt for all 3 pulleys?

Geo, according to my shop manual, 3.8 cars used one belt to drive the waterpump and generator. So simple. Not sure why our 4.2’s have 2.

Because engineering dept. denounced that as being “too simple”

I have never heard an explanation but I think they were dealing with the addition of power steering and air conditioning at the same time so perhaps they needed the design flexibility that multiple belts could offer.

The single belt from crank to water pump may also relate to the increase in the size of the impeller and the effort to improve cooling.

The reason for the high price is that, at least at the time mine was done, there was no off the shelf replacement bearing. Thus it required some machining. It was replaced by a fully sealed one which will easily outlive me.

While it’s out, it’s very worthwhile to replace the bushings that the shaft pivots on if they have any slop. Those are quite thin and mine had worn through and were galling the shaft. They actually had to be replaced years before the pulley bearing did.

2 Likes

Erica is right…On this one THE NEW sealed unit is dead quiet and sealed for life!
Ive had two, they never failed even with, antifreeze and oil around.
Good luck
gtjoey1314