54 XK120 22k original miles - oil question

Need to top off my engine and transmission oils, would you please recommend oils for both. The car has the original engine and transmission. Thank you!

Simon:

The oil recommended for the transmission is S.A.E.30W non-detergent. Personally, I use a 20W50 oil in the engine that has a ZDDP content (Kendall GT1 in my case). The ZDDP is recommended for flat-tappet engines such as the XKs DOHC unit.

Chris.

1 Like

Chris,
Thank you! Do you normally fill to between the 2 lines on the transmission dipstick? Same for engine level? Or should I go all the way up to top line?

Hi Simon:

I would bring it up to the top line on each.

Chris.

1 Like

I would first do a fresh fill up of the engine with recommended amount of oil then use the dipstick to see how much is indicated. XK engine dipsticks are somewhat interchangeable among the various engines and that causes issues for many due to detail variances. Unless you know you have the original dipstick and it’s installed exactly as the factory intended then I wouldn’t trust it until it has been verified.

2 Likes

XK engines usually leak and they usually leak less when not filled to the top mark. 30 wt. and 20W50. Diesel oil often has more zddp but it’s not a highly stressed engine so don’t worry about the exact type of oil and better change it more frequently instead of using expensive oil.

2 Likes

Thank you! The issue in California they don’t sell non detergent oils and I’m told to use that for transmission

Thank you all for always being there to help and so quick at too. Hats off

Non-detergent SAE 30 oil is used in air compressors. I bet Advance Auto Parts and Autozone carry it. Walmart does.

For decades, on the transmissions that Jaguar used that utilized steel synchros, I just used regular engine oil, and never had an issue with it.

Make sure the car is level. Even a slight angle has a great impact on the dip stick reading.

1 Like