'56 Mark 1 electrical - bullet connectors

I’m going through my engine bay and instrument panel electrical system and have to replace most of the bullet connectors. How many connection blocks or single wire connectors will I need for the complete electrical system? I have found two 10 wire connection blocks in the engine bay that service the headlights, sidelights, horns. Are there any other multi-wire blocks in the car? I’ll probably buy 50 single connectors in addition to the blocks. I don’t know if the wiring schematic is accurate for creating my shopping list. Any help in creating my inventory would be appreciated. Thanks

Bruce,

The schematic isn’t much help for this. When I did the S harness I ended up guessing and over ordering on some of the types.

Fortunately they aren’t that expensive.

I have not seen a schematic for the Mark 1, but I have schematics for Mark V and XK120, and they show connection blocks as rectangles.

A single rectangle with only two wires to it indicates a single sleeve rubber covered connector, i.e. one bullet wire end in and one bullet wire end out (Moss 162-000).

A large rectangle with 3 or 4 wires to it is a rubber sleeved double connector single conductor block which can take up to 4 bullet wire ends (Moss 161-600).

A large rectangle with 5 or 6 wires to it is a rubber sleeved triple connector single conductor block which can take up to 6 bullet wire ends (Moss 161-730).

A pair of rectangles touching side by side is a pair of connectors which are not electrically connected to each other, i.e. two conductors.

Three rectangles touching side by side is a triplet of connectors which are not electrically connected to each other, i.e. three conductors (Moss 161-720).

Five rectangles touching side by side is a five conductor block, i.e. up to 10 bullet wire ends can connect here (Moss 161-710).

The Mark V has one set of 8 rectangles touching side by side, which indicates an 8 conductor block with quad connectors, which can take 32 bullet ends.

Thanks for the information. I found a 17 page XK 150 document with wiring diagrams that has more detail than my Mk 1 schematic. I’ll create my bullet connection inventory from that since I see similarities in both of the schematics and dash faces. Thanks

Bruce,

When you’re done, and cross checked the numbers, please post a list of how many of each type of connector you ended up using, and also indicate if you used exactly the same type (single, double, quad etc) as original. This is just the kind of information that is really helpful to others.

I ended up with enough leftovers that I could wire an MG midget, because it was better for me to order more than I needed, than end up having to make an order for 5 singles and 2 doubles.