58 XK150 coolant capacity

Just removed and cleaned the ( original type ) radiator and flushed out the block using the tap under the exhaust manifold until it ran clear.Fitted all new hoses and thermostat. Mixed 25% strength antifreeze/distilled water and filled the system but it only took 9 litres rather than the 13 the manual says?..Ran up to temperature and thermostat opened ok but couldn’t add any more coolant? - Though there might be an air lock but running as normal! - Any ideas? - Heater valve open…

No idea on the problem but I alway thought the mix should be 50/50 or are you doing 25% water to 75% anti freeze?

I seem to recall that on the 3.4 litre engine the right side of the block can’t be fully drained.

25% antifreeze in the UK

Note that as the amount of antifreeze in the mixture increases past 67%, the freezing point actually starts increasing. 100% ethylene glycol antifreeze will freeze at about -3°F or -19°C.

|602x419.64943457189014

Interesting - circa 50/50 seems optimal

The left side of the block has two chambers, upper and lower. The lower connects with the right side between the cylinders.
IMG_20190203_152123593_BURST000_COVER

IMG_20190203_152033341

That said, it is possible that more gunk is still in there blocking up regions and reducing the amount of coolant you can get in there.
If you believe that to be the case, you might consider drilling out the core plugs and doing a thorough flush out. There are 3 on each side that can be done with the block in place.

I’ve always used 50/50 with a rust inhibitor.

That’s what I have always done on my cars.

Thanks Robin

Hi Nick…my assumption if you could only fill with 9 lit is that you havnt completely drained…possibly due to blockages…i would re drain but collect and measure what comes out…yes always 50/50…thats the instructions for Bluecol in the UK…Steve

Thanks Steve, I have drained this morning and have 11 litres!..I will refill with 50/50 ( measuring carefully!) and run for a bit before draining again…