6.0L engine cover and abutment plate removal / refitting questions

just as a follow up :
my engine cover had not silver ribs al all

I fitted some aluminium tape I had, as a test :

then cut along the ribs to bring the black back

the result is ok from the top ,

but less so when looking from the side, as this shows the waves in the cuts along the ribs
not sure yet I prefer it or not

the good point being it was done in about 1hour, without multiple paint & masking passes and I can take it off

I was thinking maybe a short nap or foam roller…roll paint on the ribs.
Qtip to clean up any mistakes / drips

I tought about doing so, but chickened out by fear of making a mess of the cover

here’s the whole cover done with the alu tape :

this tape holds on the cover : removing one of the stripe to replace it took me a while, but it leaves no marks on the cover

2 Likes

G’day,

Whenever I’ve had the abutment plate off the way I reassemble it is to place everything in position loosely and then twist the throttle capstan fully open and basically let the thing centre itself, with the butterflys fully open, and then tighten things up. If the throttle rods were the correct length to start with then I believe that is as good as you’re going to get it with no need to adjust the rods.

Cheers,
Jeff.

thanks Jeff, I’ll have a try next time I have to move this plate

Don’t think any cam covers with the ribs silver were painted? They were simply lightly skimmed after painting.

on the 6.0L, the cam covers are full black, without any silver rib

the engine cover is plastic, so the silver stripes have to be painted / or a metal deposit

Ford was well-known for their silvery-looking plastic interior pieces around that time. And the silver is worn off of all of them by now.

On later engines the ribs weren’t exposed.
The whole cam covers were black. Yet another penny pinching,cost cutting exercise by the “Leyland Cars Ltd”bean counters!