6 Speed Manual for E’s

I’m so dubious. It looks way longer than a Moss or Jag box. Judging from where they put the shifter it looks like there’s another 6" of box and tailshaft behind the shifter.

1 Like

That’s their claim, but the ad reads like it was written by my 6-year old on his worst day, so who knows whether they are putting the correct pics with what they claim to be selling.

1 Like

Here is the ad in ebay.

The company is Everything Alfa in Atlanta. So who in Atlanta is willing to go by and take a look, take measurements., report back to the committee.

Both the original box cited in this thread (“smooth” box) and the eBay (Mr. Fiat) box offer W113 and E-type series 1 applications for their Getrag units. This vendor offers the smooth box (has the same illustration as above) and says it’s a Getrag. Probably a different model with similar dimensions than the Mr. Fiat unit.

https://www.theslshop.com/parts-shop/mercedes-benz-w113-sl-pagoda-parts/drive-train/gearbox/mercedes-benz-sl-w113-w111-automatic-to-six-speed-manual-gearbox.html

Perhaps the numerous dual owners of E-types and W113 Mercedes here can comment as to whether the transmission dimensions and fitting space available are comparable.

(BTW Mr. Fiat and Everything Alfa are the same company.)

Dave

1 Like

As one who has driven a 6-speed for 16 years, I absolutely loved it on cross country trips (0.50 ratio 6th).
The quiet and the fuel mileage were fantastic. But… it is important to have enough power to pull the car in 6th, and I’m not sure the E’s have it.
LLoyd

In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible.

George Orwell

Agreed! I had my 6 speed manual Camaro Z28 for 25 years and loved it. Passed it on to my son earlier this year so I could make room for the E-type in the garage. Now I mainly just get to listen to it (son’s in college but living at home).

RobY

I would love to have a .50 top gear in the E. My new five speed 5th gear is .73. I can still drive at 35mph up a slight grade in 5th. Still have original 3.54 rear end.
Glenn

Yeah, I think most people underestimate an engine’s ability to pull low rpm’s, especially on a flat highway scenario.

It kind of goes hand in hand with most people’s insistence that if you re-gear your diff, it’s going to make the car a “dog”. I’d wager you could change most people’s diff ratio by 10-15%, and they wouldn’t notice the difference until they got out onto the highway.

3 Likes

The Polish chap who makes the kit contact email is Anna.thom@onet.eu.

I will email him for details

How’s progress on the low drag pat? Would be great to see some more photos?

I try to keep my page on Facebook up to date. I accept not everyone is on fbook, will pop some pics up later today.

Couple of problems of late, wheel, tyre fouls at the front, leaking core plugs and a leaking, new, diff pinion seal, all now resolved.

1 Like

The bellhousing looks it can fit directly in the car, no adjusting plate?
I was looking at an upgrade for my project, but bought a series two gearbox, how came apart with the mail, so I restored it. Hope it works fine.
Frank.

Wow sounds like fun! I don’t have Fbook. So will look forward to an update,

With best regards
Philip Dobson

I’ll be interested to see the ratios. I’ve had a six-speed torque monster for 21 years and often wish it were a five.

When Triumph brought out their 2nd generation triples in the mid/late 90s they started with the fast and highly tuned 140-ish bhp Daytona sport model with 6 ratios. When they launched the Sprint ST sports tourer in 99 they kept the second overdrive 6th gear because the gearbox is part of the engine and it’s cheaper to carry-over the transmission as part of the 117hp torque monster rejig. Besides, you can never have too much of anything on Boy’s Toys, right? WrongI

Granted, it’s a sequential shift, so lever position gives no clues to which gear you’re in, but with six ratios it’s far harder to tell by ear or ‘feel’ exactly which gear you’re in. Meanwhile, since the engine pulls from 1500-9500 rpm it rarely matters, and with a speedo marked to 180 and tach to 11,000 you can’t tell at a glance what gear you’re in.

So after 21 years I still end up double shifting to 1-3-5 much of the time, and alternate between hooking up for sixth on the highway when I’m already in it, or not noticing I’ve just covered some miles in fifth instead of top. The times when I get to redline through 4 or more ratios are so rare that 6 gears is one too many. Just another emissions-lowering gizmo if fitted on torquey vehicles.

1 Like

The supplier has responded:

No price yet or if you are interested the e mail address is: Anna.thom@onet.eu.

I have no vested intrests or affiliations

1 Like

On viewing the picture it looks like a unique bellhousing is cast rather than an adaptor plate to a jaguar bell housing. Dont see an engine steady plate or holes. Also looking at the rear mount, if that one is fitted, would indicate the box is shorter than a standard E box. Perhaps the above photo is for a 2+2 conversion. Anyway, there it is a six speed box, takes 300nms adapted for E Types.

That’s the best definition of ‘all the gear, but no idea’ I’ve ever read.

1 Like

There is a price in the ebay ad I posted above. $9,285 + $150 shipping.

Thanks, must of missed it

I wonder who SNG sources their 5 speeds from?

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/US/parts/e629c084-dd87-4495-802e-e8b6d4214df2?fromList=Search%20for%20`bell%20housing`