Today I removed the bonnet of the red roadster using an angle grinder.
The advantage of using this method was it took three minutes. The top hats were seized and the frame was rotten clean through on one side.
I then disassembled the bonnet to see what was salvageable.
I saved the headlamp rings and glass, scoops, indicators, one bumper, two bumper extensions, the bonnet catches, air grill, motif bar-thats it.
That little lit however is probably the best part of £1,000 if I had to buy it all new.
The rest is scrap or usable for panel sections only so is in storage. Chuck wouldn’t throw it away so neither am I .
I also did a bit more on the grey FHC, it is very nearly finished.
I closed the tailgate and that was it, pulling the release did nothing. It was stuck shut.
I decided the problem must be at the seat end of the cable, so a carefully undid it all with the seat in place only to find there was nothing wrong with it.
I clambered over the rear and undid the catch bolts from inside the car, releasing the tailgate.
With the tailgate open, I could remove the trim panel and the catch mechanism.
Inspection of the mechanism reveled is all to be intact. A mystery?
I put it all back together and it didn’t work! At that point I gave up, then I ungave giving up and removed the rear catch mechanism again.
Closer inspection of the wire pinch bolt revealed the head of the bolt was bottoming out before the cable was being pinched, allowing the wire to slip when the release was pulled. A new bolt 3mm longer solved the problem.
I then fitted the ITG back plate to the throttle bodies, making sure it cleared the closed bonnet, marking the bolt positions with a scribe and the using a hole cutter and drill bits. I extended the throttle cable by fitting a much long cable, fitted a return spring to the throttle pedal inside the car, finished off the mudguards with the rubber strips and mounted the ECU properly behind the glove box.
It is running very well on start up, however it is rich as I cannot set the TPS position. (throttle position sensor).
That is because I have the wrong USB cable.
I performed this task on the silver car years ago and have not had to touch it since. Must have lost the cable in the mean time.
My workshop is still full of grain, should be out week after next so I will be able to get stuck into the roadster properly.