'66 pedal/clutch box

Ron,

My car (31858 9-20-65) has the same pedal box as yours. It’s been many years since I last had it apart, but I do recall that when I put it back together I managed to assemble it so that the mc pushrod was not able to return fully. Took a while before I figured out why my brakes wouldn’t release.

Ron,

As I think someone has already surmised, these pedal box changes during 4.2 production are another part of the major change that I referred to in the earlier thread about the pipe routing, and brake light switch location. Details of the relevant SPBs and SBs in that thread: Brake Line routing - YIKES!. It sounds like you have worked it out now. For some reason the usuals haven’t done a great job in making this transition clear in their catalogs.

-David

Thanks for posting that. I hadn’t seen that thread. I bought a prebent set from Classic Tube who claimed to understand the nuances of this change. It’ll be interesting to see how they match up.

Rick OBrien

All -

I thought I would post a bit more of what I have found out, even though we have collectively surmised that there WERE two different pedal boxes on the 4.2s…

I realized today that long ago I had purchased ANOTHER set of bulkhead gaskets for the brake/clutch pedals from another vendor other than SNG Barrett. BOTH of them supplied the latter 4.2 style bulkhead gaskets so this is quite common.

Fortunately Barratt was their usual excellent team today and I have arranged to return the later style in exchange for the same gaskets used on the 3.8 which I think will work.

Obviously - the 3.8 with the bellow style servos are quite different on top but they appear to be similar on the bottom in terms of the clutch and brake pedals. So if you are ordering new gaskets, first check to see if you have the wider/shorter pedal box used on the later 4.2s, otherwise if you just tell the suppliers you have a 4.2 you will get those by default. IF YOUR CAR IS BEFORE THE CHASSIS NUMBER LISTED you need the 3.8 bulkhead gasket kit!

Here is the detail from Thomas Haddocks book summarizing all of the changes INCLUDING these listed to the pedal box itself. I think we have pretty well documented this one, hope it makes someone’s life easier both in terms of the brake switch change AND the pedal box materials required!

hi Jack.

I am rebuilding my identicel pedal box, and I am havind concerns about ajusting the shaft/pedal position for the MC.
your experience is of value for me, but what was your final finding?
Does it need to have a a play before the pushrod activates the MC?