679526 Ignition coil, spark plug routing decisions

Bob
You have to reverse the conduit and install on the exhaust side of the head, all six wires enter from the rear where it has a much bigger entry, there is no way six wires will enter the small end, This is how I have also done it on my 150 with a 4,2. Its not original ,but unclutters the cam covers for a better display.

Yes, that is the correct configuration for the conduit on early XK120 up through engine W6696 with the side or horizontal entry cap. Along with mounting the coil on those two small bosses on the block above the 3 1/2 marking.
Not very convenient for changing a dead coil on a hot engine at night in a McDonald’s parking lot. Guess how I know. :anguished:
Simon, it looks like you are making great progress.

Thanks Rob.
The reference for this is Urs Schmid Vol 1 page 157 and 158.

Nice visuals Growler!

I got that bracket that supports the coil but for the life of me I cannot understand where that bracket attaches! Didn’t I see someone’s XK have that bracket with the coil?

Thanks for the help.

Maddy

Here is the photo of the bracket.

Hmm, that bracket is nothing like the correct one for XK120.
Here is the correct one.

Rob unless the very early cars after coil moved off the block the standard brakes same profile as yours had 1/4 inch returns and even then they snap off.
Will post pic later

Repro XK150 ‐-----------
Terry

Would this be the proper coil bracket? This one is for the XK 120 through 150 but the application is XK 120 or 140. Not sure why there is such a difference without seeing where it is attached to the engine somewhere.

C5259

The one I got the catalog says it is for the XK 120 through 150 but application is XK150.

Maddy

Maddy, that bracket fits onto the top two studs on the breather on the front of the head.

nope nothing like being correct

The C5259 bracket is the one Jaguar introduced when the coil was moved from below the carbs to above the carbs during XK120 production. It attaches to the two upper intake manifold studs which attach the front carb. The C5259 bracket was also supplied to the XK140.

The C13327 bracket (which Maddy appears to have purchased) was introduced on the two-carb XK150. This bracket holds the coil above and between the carbs. It is attacked to two of the upper intake manifold studs.

Because the intake manifold studs have the same spacing for the XK120 to the XK150, the C13327 bracket should bolt onto the XK120. If it were me, however, I would exchange it for a proper C5259 bracket as shown in Rob Reilly’s photos.

Hello,
I need to change all the high voltage wires between the igniter head and the spark plugs.
I temporarily installed a set I bought on ebay. The engine works well but several things do not suit me:
1st: the wire between the coil and the igniter is a bit short.
2nd : the sockets are angled at 90°.
3rd: the wire section is too big, 8.5mm instead of 7mm (I had to adjust the section to have the wires enter properly into the distributor head). My car is a 240 and the distributor cap is similar to the one fitted to the Austin Healey. Due to inlet manifold type, this distributor cap is different compare to the one mounted on most mk2.
I have difficulties to find these parts for my 240. Maybe someone knows reseller adress where can I buy the consumable to rebuild this assembly?
In advance thank you for your reply.
Jean-Sébastien SEGUI