679526 XK120FHC (battery box reno)

Oh, well, yeah…that.

:persevere:

Maddy,

Just went through a complete XK 120 OTS body restoration. Here are two pics that might help you with the battery boxes and their cover. The first one is before the restoration started. And forget the finger on the second picture…

Bob K.

Nice job done! What color will the battery box be when painted? Love the finger pointing out the battery box! Made it easy to find. I see where mine is missing several things much of them minor.

Maddy

do note, Bob’s are for OTS, not FHC…not sure what differences if any in the metal parts shown. Nick

Right Nick, the FHC has nothing like the OTS battery cover. It has a parcel box.
The notch in the bottom edge is for the radio cable to pass through.

IMG_20210607_160003800

Noted. I realize the difference.

is the metal work of the battery boxes and the surrounding metal, as in Bob’s lower pic the same in both? Nick

Right, the battery boxes themselves are the same.
The vertical panel to the rear of the boxes is probably different as it supports the parcel box lid and parcel shelf with or without a radio speaker.

If you are a pure in restoring Jags skip this message.

Like I said in an earlier post I don’t work with metal. I do with wood however. So I made this parcel box and it will function as any other parcel box.

Once the interior is done it will not be noticeable except to those who wish to be critics.

Maddy

2 Likes

Nuthin’ wrong with that!!

:+1:t2:

Maddy
Attached picture (before restoration) shows the seat belt attachments fitted sometime before 1980 by a PO (previous owner) to 120 FHC 679265.
Large washers as already described to spread the load.
If mountings aren’t possible to the chassis, not a body off restoration, this solution would be better than nothing but I don’t know if it would pass today’s strict criteria (having said that in the UK a car only needs to be as good as it was when new, which was no seatbelts, so these would be allowable as found here

).
Simon

1 Like

Growler,

I do remember seeing that hole placement which I covered over. The main reason is I am not sure of the metal integrity as it is fairly rusted and without some further reinforcement being added I am reluctant to rely on mountings that could pull through.

The rules for classic car restoration for me allow the process to return the car to its original state as new so I wouldn’t necessarily need seat belts except for my own personal safety.

Maddy

Fair enough, personally I am replacing the seat belts and will use these holes with big plates behind to spread the load. I will then take my chances that this arrangement will be a great safety improvement over “original” no belts at all.

I am fairly sure in the future I would install seat belts. Just not a priority at the moment.