7" Headlight conversion, Flat lens headlights?

Ok, so I’m wanting to convert both my sedans to the 7" lights. Here is my question I would like to find a flat lens, 7" headlight, with city/pilot lights. I would ideally like to have Cibie lights, but so far have only found the 5 3/4 light with a flat lens.

Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome!

I have 7" Hella H4 lamps that are flat on the face - much better than the old domed sealed beams. They have only the main and dipped beam insert, ie no little parking lamp. Paul

Not cheap, but I believe these fit your specs.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Carello-Headlamps-Headlights-Alfa-Romeo-Ferrari-03-240-700-Pair-NOS-Low/273028599742?hash=item3f91c5cfbe:g:xDEAAOSw-RFaXpfQ

Here’s one example of a vendor selling E-code, flat-lens Hella 7" headlights

http://www.headlightservices.com/Headlamps.html

The last set I bought, years ago, came from a off-road supplier. I don’t have the part number handy…but they’re out there ! Just Google “flat lens 7 inch headlight”

Finding ones with the city light/pilot light might take a bit more digging

Cheers
DD

I’ve installed these headlights on two of my cars. For the City Lights; I haven’t found one that’s flat, I’m still looking though.

What I’ve done is purchase the 7" flat headlight drill a hole in the back and insert an LED pig tail.

here’s a hella 7" flat (LHD) even comes with H4 bulbs. I wasn’t too happy with the bulbs; so I replaced them with a higher quality bulb.

For the city light, I drilled a hole in the back (it’s metal) and installed a

LED pig tail, and wired then wired into the fog light circuit. I have one headlight switch with the city lights but that’s slated for the XJS with the euro style head light lenses.

My first attempt was building my own with LEDs & resisters, then used a hot snot (glue) gun to hold the LED in place. Epic fail. Head lights get hot, which melted the glue; which caused the LED to short on the head light back. wouldn’t recommend it - making your own.

good Luck.

Jack,

all typical 7" round H4 headlights are available either with or without pilot light. On Euro spec XJs the pilot light is below the bumper and shares the housing with the flasher.

Last time I installed new headlights I used some with pilot light (which I didn’t use), but failed to block the openings. After a few years the mirrors were badly corroded and I had to replace them again earlier this year.

Bosch and Hella standard sets typically come with flat lenses. The Bosch part # is 0301600110. The Hella part # seems to be 1A6 002 395-071. Most people prefer the original lentil shape, however. There are Autopal lights with lentil shape and pilot lights available as well https://www.oldtimerbedarf.de/7-Zoll-H4-Einsatz-mit-Standlicht-gewoelbtes-Glas-E-geprueft. You shouldn’t have to become overly creative to get what you feel like.

Best regards

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

Wiggles, thanks for the lead, but probably more exotic than what I’m looking for, but sadly those do not have flat lenses.

Jochen,

Thanks for the information. I have tried the Autopal lights on other cars, and have not been overly impressed with them, compared to a Hella, or especially a Cibie. At present, If I’m not able to find a flat 7" Cibie, I will probably go with the Hella Super, which does include a city light.

I haven’t found the Cibie Flats in the US, However I do have a set (no citi lights) from the UK - the lights are for right hand drive. I got them at David Manners the lights aren’t listed on their website, I had to write.

Mark,

I’ll shoot him an email and see what he has. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, try Daniel Stern.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Does anyone have a line on the 7" headlamp trim rings?

well that’s the kicker the trim rings. These have become as rare as rocking horse shit. I bought a whole car just for the headlight trim The headlight buckets are available in plastic. These buckets are also used in the TR6’s
Here are the part numbers

The flip side is the buckets and 7" adjustments are readily available because these were used with the MK X (420G) Also the Mark X have the big trim rings, but they don’t have the mesh screening for the kick panel vent. Frankly I’m thinking not having the screens is a good thing because moisture ingress.

Anyway, most of the Triumphs that use the 7" headlights.

And superfluous anyway after '82 or so when the inside vents were elimimated

Cheers
DD

I FOUND A GOOD SOURCE FOR THE 7" HEADLIGHT CONVERSION. Visit http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/

1 Like

Cool, Thank you! I’ve sent off an email checking pricing and such. OH, and BTW it takes longer than 30 minutes to swap out a headlight - getting the wires loose is the problem child.

Not if you have all your parts and tools laid out it doesn’t…and if you’ve done it a time or two.

Well all I can say is it was my second time, and it took better part of an afternoon primarily trying to push the wires through the headlamp bucket. Sore fingers didn’t help by the time I got to the second bucket.

I just de-pinned the wires, taking them out of the headlight plug… that way, they were easy to feed through the rubber grommet, one at a time. I then snapped them back into the plug after all three wires had been fed thru the grommet. Vaseline and hemostats helped a considerable amount.

1 Like

good call I contacted Andrew at Jaguar specialities; and their package includes the their own copies of the OE die cast the whole kit will set you back $350.00 US About 150 more than I spent on used parts from David Manners including shipping from the UK to the US. AND the buckets were metal not plastic. but that was 5 years ago, probably not available anymore. Oh, and the chrome is pitted.