83 xj6 turn signals help

While I have you guys here do you know where the central unlocking relay is? When I lock my doors on the drivers side everything locks fine but it will not unlock. I have to manual unlock the door. Could this be a relay problem as well?

No relays are used with motors, Cody…

The original Kiekert set-up and aftermarket systems activates lock/unlock using a motor/control unit in the driver’s door. When moved, either manually by the door ‘flap’ used to lock/unlock manually - or remotely by a signal from the remote control unit. When the remote ‘fob’ is activated it sends a radio signal to the remote control unit, which powers the door motor to move as appropriate - and by moving, powers the other motors to lock or unlock…

Causes of failure to only lock; the ‘fob’ does not trigger an ‘unlock’ signal. The remote control unit is usually placed behind the panel at driver’s side A-pillar - if not there; I don’t know! The original car wiring uses orange/green and orange/red wires for door/boot motors’ power, but aftermarket remote control units use their own wire colors to power the driver’s door motor. In principle; you connect a test lamp across the two wires delivering power to the driver’s door motor, and activate the remote ‘fob’ - the lamp should briefly light up both with ‘lock’ and ‘unlock’. The trick, without the proper wiring diagram is to find the right wires, but the original color is usually kept as ‘output’ from the controller - not to power the door motor …:slight_smile:

Or a maladjusted motor/control unit hasn’t enough travel in the ‘unlock’ direction - use the flap to see if it both ‘locks’ and ‘unlocks’. If not; fore an aft adjustment of the motor is required - remove driver’s door panel for access. However, this manual operation may be satisfactory without ensuring remote operation. To adjust; loosen mounting bolts (10 mm) and move the assembly fractionally - trial and error. Nominally; midpoint between ‘full forward’ and ‘full rearwards’ is about right - but with aftermarket set-ups it may be a bit different.

There may of course be other problems, more difficult to resolve, but these are the two main ones - and the adjustment is the most common cure…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

The boot locks but doesn’t unlock via the drivers door correct?

Yes, IIRC it’s set-up this way.
I modified mine to unlock as well.

To clarify, when using the key in the driver’s door, all of the doors will lock…but none of them will unlock? If so, then it might be a relay problem, yes.

There are two relays, lock and unlock. They’re behind the left and right kick panels in the footwell

Do you have the S57 wiring diagram and a test light? We can walk you thru some checks.

However, adjusting the controller in the driver’s door, as Frank described, is a likely fix as well

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Frank, Cody’s 1983 car should still have the Lucas system which uses solenoids and relays. The Kiekert system was introduced mid-1985

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

You guys are super helpful! Do you have a actual location of which one is the unlock relay so I can knock that out this weekend.

I can’t remember which relay is on which side.

To be honest, adjusting the controller in the driver’s door might be an easier place to begin. The controller is actuated by the lock linkage…which wears a bit over the decades. This bit of sloppiness in the “throw” of the linkage can prevent the controller from operating correctly.

Cheers
DD

Doug, Cody,
Per the Jaguar XJ6 S57 Electrical Guide, in the solenoid door lock equipped cars, the “Unlock” relay is on the left side and the “Lock” relay is on the right side behind the small kick panels.

Cody,
I recommend that you start a new “Door Lock” email string and not continue to use your “turn signals” string for discussions about the door locks. These are not the same system and anyone searching this thread in the future may get confused or get conflicting information.

Paul

1 Like

Certainly, Doug - but it would require a combined solenoid/control unit in the driver’s door; without an ‘actuator’ in the driver’s door it cannot be remotely be locked/unlocked, nor central locking effected by the door key or ‘flap’. And I have never seen such a ‘solenoid’ - the solenoids were abandoned before remote was invented…

So I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that either the xj40 Kiekert or an aftermarket motor set-up was fitted - he just have to check…

Frank

Mine was ‘remoted’ with all the original actuators.

And with the door key operating the central locking, David…?

But indeed, a failed relay may be the cause of Cody’s problem if he has solenoids…

Frank

I can’t remember. I think the key was no longer locking the other doors.

My S1 has remote control too - owners manual language for the inner door handle and -lock… was I confused!

That figures, David - you only need to add a solenoid in the driver’s door for remote operation. But the solenoid alone will not activate the central locking - a door control unit is required; routinely combined with aftermarket remotes. As he reported that the key ‘locked’ but not ‘unlocked’, I assumed he had (aftermarket?) motors…

As an aside; I searched for hours, in vain, for the solenoid relays in the usual places - only to find I had motors. The transition year was 85…:slight_smile:

Frank

1 Like