'86 XJ6 IRS rebuild

Seems like my IRS is starting to go bad in my XJ6. The bearings in the right hub for sure are making noise and the left axel has some in and out play to it. Lastly, the rotors/breaks need to be replaced.

Does anyone know where to buy a reconditioned IRS? Is this something that can be easily done in my garage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many have done them in the garage. Easy, no!!! doablew., yes. Were I to try it, I would get a second unit.l then build it at my time table., then swap it in for the worn unit.

CAVEAT. tHE CAR MUST BE UP HIGH TO ALLOW THE UNIT TO CLEAR. It must be safely supported.
four sturdy jack stands or good cribbing. And, best not to be alone. If that must be, have the cell phone under the car with you. You can not be too careful. these cars are heavy!!! They will keal!!!

1 Like

Single garage, doable but I had no space to recondition it. Thankfully not needed. Phone with me and wireless headphones with ā€žhey siriā€œ in case I canā€™t reach the phoneā€¦ not too hard or dangerous compared to a few other things.

Iā€˜d buy a low mileage Powr Lok IRS and hope for the best (if not good after all, keep using it while you recondition the original, swap again and sell the V12 IRS again). Rebuild isnā€˜t easy!

I did it in my single garage, but it would be nicer if I had more spaceā€¦
Not that hard albeit quite technical.
The hardest part is the Diff output bearings and seals, a thing that it would be a shame not to change since you are deep down there.
Finding a reconditioned Diff, or having someone to do it for you might be the easiest solution if you donā€™t want to get involved in this.
My recommendation is to inspect and change every seal and bearing once the cage is out, you will not be wanting to change some and then have to do it again to change the rest.
@Dick_Maury might be of some help and Kirbyā€™s Book has also lots of info.

Thanks for all of the advice and feedback. Is there a ā€œkitā€ that has all of the bearing and seals? I would hope thereā€™s a few good technical manuals/video I could watch to help with the process.