88' XJ40 Wire connects to

Hello All,

I opened up the jag to get to the load dump module and clean out the throttle and air sensor. In doing so, I failed to account for where this wire connects to.

It is not the one that connects to the MAF sensor as that was is shorter in length. And it’s not the wires from the load dump module.

Is there a chance anyone recognizes it?

Since none of our experts are around, I’ll take a WAG. Because that’s a ring terminal I’m thinking it’s a ground, and can go anywhere there is a grounded fastener it will fit on.

Alan

That makes sense to me, I was careful to take pictures of everything else and bag bolts appropriately but for whatever reason I don’t remember that wire.

If you can trace it to where it comes from I can take a look on my 88 XJ40 that is the same body colour as yours

Of course:

It’s part of the wiring that leads to the load dump, for clarification.

Hi I had a look it goes to the alternator but saying that I only have 2 wires you seem to have an extra wire my car is Australian delivered

Yes it’s weird. The load dump has two wires one that is grounded and one to alternator.

This wire is connected to the wires that lead up to the load dump, but they aren’t directly part of it.

Should i connect it to the load dump wire that connects to the alternator?

The photo here is the wire from the load dump that directly connected to the alternator (note the cap). The second wire from the load dump goes to ground bolt. So the wire in question comes from a taped bunch with said wire sticking out.

Is that under the air filter? I looked on my 89 but the af is in the way.

Yes. This wire and the bunch it’s connected, also connect to the load dump. All of which are under the air filter

I would say no don’t connect it to the Alternator, If we take a step back in order to clean the Throttle body you removed the air filter housing, the Airflow Meter and the bellows. When you put back together did you connect the earth wire to the airflow meter?

Not yet. I know which wire connects to the air flow meter as it’s smaller and I wisely took a picture of that wire’s location before pulling apart the air flow meter and elbow.

If it helps. The blue circle shows the load dump module (with shoddy blue silicone encasing) and the two black wires (one which goes to ground bolt that includes a few other grounding wires and one that goes to alternator - which is where it was located when i began removing everything).

The red circle shows the casing where the wire in question comes from. The casing does go further on and leads to the load dump.

I honestly can’t recall where this red circle wire was connected to.

In this photo you can see the load dump circuit board and the green circle displays the grounding wire and alternator connecting wire that are directly connected to the load dump.

It took a bit but I found the wire, I tried to get a photo but its to sunny right now. It goes to the alternator.

Thank you David, so to confirm two wires (one from load dump and one before it) connect to the alternator?

Hey I got lucky finding the blue wire, where it goes I don’t know,. I won’t be pulling the af until later this month after I replace the vacuum assist and then clean the fuel intake. she’s been sitting for 3 or 4 months.

I just pulled an electrical schematic for an 89, shows a blue wire from alt to dump and alt to resistor. hope this helps.

You sir, are a saint, that helps tremendously. She’s been sitting since I started this project and can’t wait to get her out of the garage.

1 Like

fyi, it is NOT connected to the red wire, it is on the other terminal.

The other space for the bolt, that makes sense. I’ll try to take a picture tonight to confirm.

Thank you again

So, without undoing the throttle, above is a picture of the back of alternator. The purple circle is the wire that comes directly from the load dump and was located on the alternator.

The green circle, difficult to see, is a similar bolt on the alternator.

Is this where the blue wire would connect to?

It’s very likely that someone touched this car from the original owner and didn’t properly place wires where they belonged.
It would explain my issue with the battery.

1 Like

I can’t see where the red wire is?