'89 XJ40 Radiator cooling fan

Dennis,

Thanks for your input.
Do you happen to have the aftermarket part number for the black fan? I could not find any black fans using the original part number EAC9367.
The clutch is easy to find with the original part number EAC8948.

Otto …

Go on Google and enter “jaguar xj40 fan EAC9367”. When it opens select “shopping” at the top. Now just scroll down, there are plenty of them.

Dennis,

I tried but did not have any success. Maybe it is because I am on different continent.:thinking:

I can find a black fan blade with part numbers EBC4553 and EBC4552, but it is for XJS 4.0, 5.3 and 6.0 V12 models. It is a not clear whether it fits the 3.6.

Google spews different results to all it’s users.

Otto …

Just picked this web sight at random. It says it will fit your '89 3.6L engine. Coincidentally I’ve used this company several times in the past with excellent results.

Dennis,
Thanks. This fan blade is available in Europe, too. However, the most important factor is that it (EBC4553) fits the XJ40. I will acquire it and a Mahle fan clutch (EAC8948).

Otto …

Great I think it will work just fine.

Dennis,

I think so, too.
It should not be too difficult to replace the fan and clutch even if both the AC and fan/alternator belts must be removed. Then there are four bolts holding the fan.

Otto …

Not to worry sir, you don’t need to remove either of the belts to take off the fan clutch.

1. First loosen all four nuts (13mm). You’ll need to use a large flathead screwdriver to lock the assembly so it doesn’t turn when you initially break each nut loose.

2. Because there is so little room you have to undo all 4 nuts about halfway, this allows you to move the clutch forward enough to now undo the nuts enough to remove them. Don’t worry it will make sense when you’re doing it. Use the long screwdriver to rotate the clutch to get to each nut.

3. With the four nuts removed pop off the two metal clips that secure the top of the radiator shroud (use that screwdriver again to pry them off). Now just pull up the shroud while holding the fan and they both pull out. Installation is just the reverse but it’s important to make sure the two tabs in the bottom of the shroud are positioned in the lower slots that they fit into. You’ll need to crawl under the front of the car to line them up.

Here’s my tip … Use 4 new nuts (they round of easily) and double check they are the correct size. Then before you reinstall the fan clean and oil the 4 bolt threads until you can finger spin the nuts on. Trust me It makes installation a LOT easier.

2e712df6e75476fff46fa5d5eaeb57f947af381e_2_375x500

Dennis,

Thank you, sir! It was very easy to remove the fan.

The fan has terrible cracks and the clutch is very dirty. It is really about time to replace them!

Been re-reading this thread and doing some further research. Found this on the Sachs Web site:

“The viscous clutch ensures that the fan speed is automatically adjusted to the level necessary to cool down the engine. This reduces both fan noise and fan power consumption, with the pleasant side effect of saving fuel.”

Now I fully understand the numerous warnings in the Haynes manual (see post early on in this thread) to exercise caution when mucking about with the fan clutch. Who knew that sucker was so mean? To the point of being described as vicious? That is pretty extreme - oh wait, what? Viscous, not vicious? OK, never mind… :unamused:

1 Like

I once has my fan clutch seize up. The symptoms were it would cause such a drag that over 3000 RPM the belt would slip. Also happened on first start up and engine speed suddenly increased to fast idle speed. New clutch solved the issue.