94 XJS strobe light side markers

I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. Purchased my 94 XJS for my wife a few months back and have been chasing down gremlins hoping to get it inspected within the next few weeks for summer driving. This forum has been REALLY helpful so I decided to support as a patron.
So here is my issue- the previous owner had the headlight relay out of the car. He complained that something was draining the battery. This past weekend I put it back in to make sure all the lights are working- with one problem- even with all switches off and key out of the ignition, all four side marker lights “strobe flash” and the light warning buzzer will “chirp” when the door is open. I can hear the relay click every few seconds like clockwork. This is not intermittent. As long as the relay is installed, the lights flash. The relay was checked and is good (and I have changed relays). I thought it may be something with the security system, but no other lights or horns are noticed. Any one have any ideas what may be causing this and where should I start?

It would appear to be the alarm is triggering the relay, but not the horn. Does the horn/alarm siren, actually work?

I don’t have a wiring diagram for your car, especially the alarm circuit, but you need to use a test lamp, or meter, to ascertain whether the relay is receiving the correct power and Gnd inputs and if one of those is being repeatedly switched to make it operate.

2 Likes

Diesleman, thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the wiring diagram. Ironically I was hoping it was not part of the security system as it seems complex and I do not have an owner’s manual showing how it operates.

I doubt the alarm system is complex, someone posted about theirs and it appeared to be a Foxguard add on module.
My query is why does the headlamps relay cause the marker/sidelamps to flash? The two circuits should be separate.
Check which fuse is drawing current when the lamps flash and check the bulbs haven’t been replaced with LED’s causing the lamp modules to become confused and keep switching.

I still suspect the alarm is triggering.