95 XJS 4.0 convertible vin 222629

which is the best OBD II for my car?

Depends on what you’re looking for?

A cheapie u480 pulls standard “p” codes just fine. You should probably buy one and keep it in the trunk.

You can also buy a wireless ELM27 that ties into your phone. Depending on whether you’re an iPhone or Android guy, will determine what kind of ELM27 you’ll prefer. I believe ELM27 WiFi is needed for iPhone while a Bluetooth connection is good for your Android.

Then you’ll need to decide on an app. I use OBD Fusion on my iPhone. I don’t love it, but it works well. The real time graphing seems to be slow, but that may be the car’s fault and not the app.

Lastly, you can use that same wireless ELM27 dongle to tie back into a laptop. On my MacBook, I use Yhasi Movi Pro, which I like.

None of these will pull transmission or ABS codes. For that, you’ll need something more Jaguar specific. I own a PDU and a WDS. There are some computer software kits that are Jaguar specific that will give you those codes as well, but I’m not versed enough with them to know which ones work.

My 2004 Honda Civic recently acted up, but it was still moving, so I limped to the nearest Advance Auto Parts store. I told the guy behind the counter about the problem and said, “I guess I need a code reader.” He immediately marched off and came right back with a code reader – the store’s code reader! Went out to my Civic, plugged it in, and told me that my cam position sensor was bad.

Nobody told me the stores have these things! When I asked for one, I was expecting to have to buy one. Of course, it’d still be handy to have one if your car acts up in your garage. But if you can get to an auto parts store, you can just use theirs.

1 Like

Yup - this has been standard practice at AutoZone for some time. It’s been awhile since I’ve used it, but in addition to the free code-reading, they used to give you a register-receipt looking printout that showed any codes.

1 Like

I need a code reader to determine why the car died, in my garage, after running at idle only after starting up 2 minutes before. The way it died, I believe it was due to lack of fuel. Checked the relevant fuses for ecu, and fuel relay etc. all good. Checked the cube relay for fuel pump, it works fine, if it is the fuel relay. Hella 30 amp relay w/ yellow base. Don’t want to waste time or money on a cheap OBD II reader if the Jag needs a specific code reader to lead in me a positive direction Thanks for response JC

I bought this cheap reader for $23. Downloaded free app “Torque Lite” on my Android phone. Plug in the reader, the app picks up the bluetooth signal within about 20 seconds. Can monitor whatever the ECU has (like coolant temp, RPM, etc), and of course access AND reset codes.

Works like a charm, I’ve been using it for three years no problems. Not on a Jag, but ODBII is ODBII regardless of vehicle.

1 Like

O.K., so I went to Jagrepair.com, for my car it shows the fuel pump relay at the right rear in trunk. Right rear components location, shows 4 relays, next to the r.r. fuse panel. Guess what NO RELAYS. The relay I tested, was for the convertible top functions. I’m looking for a silver can relay, with a yellow base, but nowhere in the trunk area can I find this!!! Anyone familiar with the proper location?? Thanks JC

Been a long time since I looked , but relays are more outboard and more forward. Need to get on your back and have a good look.

If it’s like my 93, it’s actually on the inside and up above the right rear wheel, as in you pretty much have to lean in and twist your head and neck sideways to see them. Also they are zip tied in, or at least mine was

Thanks I’ll look for them JC

1 Like

Not necessarily. Jaguar switches relay suppliers every now and then. Some relays have black plastic housings, and they can really be any color plastic or metal.

JC,
Do you know about the JaguarClassicparts.com website? You can look up the Jaguar part number for the parts you need and also see some illustrations of parts and their location just in case you don’t have a Jaguar Parts Catalogue already for your car.

Paul

1 Like

O.K., found the true fuel pump relay and tested it. Bad relay!!!. Will replace soon, I am a retired electrical engineer, only problem with this was I’m 66 years old and 6FT 1in. Boy that trunk seems small!!! Thanks for all your help JC

1 Like

I’m not quite your age, but I’m 6’6ish lol :grin:. Yeah its definitely not a 2 person trunk lol