A/C compressor options

Hey there. Wondering what people have done to upgrade the Tecumseh AC compressor on a S2. Is there a modern compressor that is just plug and play into the existing system? Send the Tecumseh out to be rebuilt? I beleive original air has the same one rebuilt. For all I know the existing one is fine, but not sure.
Thanks.

John
In my opinion the original compressor was not great. Even when new not very cold and would not hold a charge even after rebuild. Several years ago replaced with a compressor from retro, now another name co. comes with a conversion bracket. You have to let them know if vertical or horizontal mount compressor. Believe it is a Sanden compressor and is leak free, pulls less amps quieter lighter and cooler. There are rebuilds out there that may not fit, for the E type the casting was shaved down a bit.
Recommend flushing lines and putting a new drier and expansion valve. My father also had a 69 E from new and A/C never was great. The Sanden made a big improvement. Some will say that R12 was colder than the 134 conversion/Sanden but not for me.
Glenn

On my 69 2+2 I substituted a Sanden 508 for the stock “shoe box” Tecumseh compressor. The substitution requires an adaptor bracket and at least different fittings on the hose ends that connect to the compressor. It’s probably easier to just have those two hoses made new.

Also, IIRC there are at least two different configurations of the end plates (if that’s the right term) on the Sanden that the hoses connect to; either a side exit or top exit. And there are various pulley arrangements.

I felt the system, with the Sanden and R134, cooled well. But one self proclaimed E-type air conditioning “expert” claimed the Tecumseh actually provides more cooling power than the Sanden. I believe the claim was at any given engine RPM the Tecumseh moves a greater volume of refrigerant than does the Sanden. True or false? I don’t know.

Has anyone had any success stopping the HG500 Tecumseh compressor from leaking oil out of the front seal? I have 2 different ones, one of which I bought years ago that is NOS and the original that came with the car. I have installed new seals 3 times, including once by the Florida based A/C experts for big $$, yet they still have a slow leak out the nose. Both compressors blow really cold air which I am very happy with but what good is it if it slings oil around the engine compartment and eventually runs out of oil and refrigerant.

I would love to hear if someone has a good fix.

I had the same problem, if you can keep refrigerant in them they are not too bad. Had replaced seal a few times and polished plate that the seal rides on. Sanden replacement solved all the problems.
One guy told me that the same Tecumseh compressor was used it big rig trucks?
Glenn

1 Like

This is a very common problem on the Harrison A 6 compressors, they had a carbon seal however one can get an aftermarket kit with a lip seal, still a little leakage but not much. Don’t know if the same thing is possible with the Tecumseh compressor but thought I would mention it just in case.
Cheers,
LLynn