A/C Vent Replacement

Hi Friends,

Am I correct in my assumption that the evaporator has to be completely removed in order to replace the a/c directional vents? Or could it just be lowered, perhaps? I only need to replace one or two, but it seems like a lot of work for something rather minor. However, now would be the time while the system is uncharged.

Thanks much,

Skip (‘68 S 1.5, 2+2)

Skip
You are correct, to replace vents unit need to be taken apart to get access to metal brackets that retain vents. Problem is assembly gets brittle from age and just removing it may cause cracking. I have repaired using fiberglass and resin. If louvers have just fallen out of place they can be returned into position with needle nose pliers.
Glenn

Thanks, Glenn. That’s what I figured. Since the only really bad one (missing louvers completely), is the one closest to the passenger door, and I have one replacement, perhaps I can drill a groove on the far right and extract/replace it. Then, if needed, work on the cosmetics. Just an idea.

Skip

On my 71 series 2 OTS I have been able to replace the AC vents in place by heating with a hair dryer and carefully wiggling and slightly pulling until the unit pops out. Replacement is a little more delicate but I was able to do it.

Wow, Jack, I am impressed! Wish I had a video of that😀! I do have a heat gun, but I would be a bit concerned of melting the plastic. Could you possibly be a little more detailed? Where did you heat? Just the ends, or the whole unit? Any guidance would be appreciated as I was not looking forward to either removing and disassembling the whole unit (though I have lowered it to replace the fan motor and will be removing the hoses) or drilling a removal groove.

Thanks,
Skip

Outside of electrical isn’t that pretty much most of the removal process? For electrical I cut the wires and installed male and female terminals on the cut ends. Makes subsequent work so much easier.

1 Like

Point taken John. To be clear, it was several years ago that I replaced the motor. Now I am preparing to replace hoses, compressor, and receiver/dryer, flush condenser, and convert to r-134. It appears that I can access the hose connections without moving the evaporator unit. Thus, my inquiry on the vents. The evaporator unit appears to be in good shape. But if I do ultimately decide to remove it, I will probably examine for other issues (flushing?), and add those electrical connectors.

As always, thanks and additional advice will be much appreciated.

Skip (‘68 Series 1.5, 2+2)

Skip, just heated enough to prevent the plastic from being brittle…don’t over do it! I inserted a flat screw driver tip between the end of the vent where the small tip protrudes and the housing and gently wiggled back and forth while pulling the vent.

Hi There,

Well, gave it a go with no luck. I managed to get the old one out, but not without distorting it. Fiddled with the replacement but decided I was more likely to damage it than succeed. Was worth a try.

So, I guess I will be removing the evaporator unit as part of my overhaul. Time to read up on the “electrical”! Another learning experience, and part of the fun of this hobby.

Thanks again.

Skip (‘68 S 1.5, 2+2)

Skip, one more possibility, but takes some guts! Use a fine saw to cut the protruding pin at the end. Insert the pin (probably with tweezers) into the receiving hole, apply crazy glue and insert the rest of the vent to line up with the pin. The pressure will hold the pin and vent, and if it works, problem solved!

i believe the power line to the fan has a fuse in it as it crosses behind the radio console.

LLoyd

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

Mine certainly does.

Thanks Jack, but I have pretty much decided to go ahead and remove the evaporator unit, especially since I have not had much luck with glue in the past.

I have already replaced that in-line fuse and holder, when I changed the fan motor. I remember it all kind of crumbled in my hand. I was more concerned with electrical connections on the other side, by the hoses. Any guidance on this would be welcomed.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Skip

As I mentioned earlier, I cut mine and installed male and female terminals on the cut ends.

Very nice, John. Any more pics to show where everything goes?

Thanks,
Skip