A minor but timely discovery

I have been repairing the brakes on a 67 4.2 OTS as part of an ongoing decade long restoration. Preparing the car (which is up on jack stands) for driving includes checking the brakes.The pedal went to the floor. I earlier discovered the E Brake was disconnected. I decided the first step, having observed no leaks anywhere, was to bleed and flush the brakes.Good flow out of the LF bleeder, nothing out of the right, I checked the flex lines and they must be factory original so I ordered a set from Moss. I find it very difficult to get down on the concrete and work under the car, but I was able to remove both front flex hoses, but I could not get the new hoses’ threads to engage. Specifically I was trying to get the acorn looking female fitting to engage with the male threads on the new flex line. I tried for ca. an hour, I loosened the bracket supporting the flex line and also tried forcing the rigid Acorn looking nut on the old rigid line going to the caliper. Finally , I got a used acorn nut brake line out of my used parts box and tried to fit it to the new Moss flex line. It would not go, but not having all the degrees of freedom and not under the car, I finally did get it started. It turned pretty hard at first and I always fear cross threading, Finally, it got easier and I removed and replaced the parts several times until they were much easier to engage. So I now will exercise any new male brake fittings by engaging them with a used fitting first. These fittings are plated so I suspect the problem is the plating thickness . Mike Moore 67 OTS S1 4.2

3 Likes

Brake fluid system threads are the most difficult threads to start!

2 Likes