ABS Relay Location

I’ve been working on my car this weekend trying to figure out why I’m not getting fluid to the rear brakes, and been driving myself crazy in the process. I’ve got power going to the over voltage relay and the ABS module / pump, but the pump is not making any noise or doing anything. Looking through my repair manuals, I noticed that the Haynes manual mentions an ABS Main and an ABS Pump relay. From the diagram, it looks like they’re in the left front interior area. Has anyone ever found these relays? I pulled off my knee bolster and the kick panel and found nothing.

Hi - I don’t have an 89 model so just surmising here but you do know that the colours Haynes refers to are not the colours of the actual relays but the colour of the relay bases, right?

Thanks for the response Larry, but I’m not going off the colors listed. I’m not seeing relays of any color in that area of the car. Lots of electrical connectors, but not one relay.

Brett,

That could be because that picture is not of an '88 / '89 car - it is of a '90 / '92 model; with the Teves brake system. Where did you get the picture?

You do not have an ABS Main or an ABS Pump relay on your car.

Bryan, I just checked my copy of Haynes and that IS the illustration for the relay locations for an '88/89 car …so another Haynes undocumented error (until now?)

Thanks for responding in my absence Larry. What Larry said is correct… the diagram is from my Haynes manual and as you can see from the bottom of the diagram, it states it applies to 1988 to 1989 cars.

Bryan, I think you are correct. I’ve done some more research and cannot find another reference to relays in that area. I’m really starting to run out of ideas as to what my issue could be.

Hi Brett,
I noticed that on the Haynes manual diagram showing the location of the relays for my car model year
93/94 that everything is correct in the general location as shown, except it should all be reversed from left to right.
I searched for a while under the right hand side of the dash for the side light relay box as the diagram shows before finding this out myself.
Just to be sure, I checked the position of the other relays and everything else matched with the diagram when swapped over.

Casso,

I think the confusion may arise because AFAIK the only decent ‘user friendly’ XJ40 circuit diagrams and component layout pictures (as they appear for example in the official JDHT CD-Rom JHM1130) were drawn by Jaguar North America, not Browns Lane. Hence they are for a LHD car and you need in most cases to imagine a ‘mirror image’ to match a RHD car.

I wonder if Haynes used some of those because IIRC, the Haynes Manual for the XJ40 was initially written in the US and only sloppily ‘re-handed’ for UK publication so that some illustrations are indeed still for a LHD car.

Hi Brett,

I have xj40 1991 model. but, if that can help you:

You need to look in the left front interior area,
pull off the knee bolster and the kick panel,
than you should look for a bigger size relay (mine color is Black) cause all the other relay are small only this one Big (approx. double the size of the normal relay).

Hope to help and good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks Mathilda. We were able to confirm that relays being behind the knee bolster only applies to the later cars and does not apply to the 88-89 models.

Ok Brett and good luck.