ABS resevoir question 1988 3.6

Hi all , I have a quick question about the reservoir on the 3.6 1988 , when filling does it mean you should see green in the clear bubble as you should see green fluid in the bubble to know when it is full , all i have read the wording can be a little confusing . Thanks Guys. Mark

There is a float that will indicate the level as FULL, not fluid in the clear bubble.

bob

Thanks Bob , one more question what color is the float ? , is it green . Thanks Mark

Mark …

Thats correct.

When you hook up your crazy squirt bottle of green mineral oil that twist locks onto the top of the reservoir (and almost always leaks a little while your squeezing the fluid in) and it’s full you should indeed see green in the clear sight bubble. Instead of the actual fluid what you see is a green float in the shape of a sleeve.

Personally I got so tired of the system leaking (and this is after pulling the reservoir and pressure testing it), I finally junked the whole hydraulic brake system and went with vacuum boosted brakes. Of course I had years ago converted my leaking rear self leveling shock absorbers to “normal” ones.

thanks to Bob and Grooveman for the replies , this is a new car to me as my '90 was written off in an accident and i’m slowly coming to terms with a car that has not be modified the way the majority have now , so i have all that to look forward to . At least i have the components to do the rear suspension out the '90 and into the '88 and few other goodies as well . No doubt i’ll be back here frequently. Thanks Mark

Ok I have an 89 xj40 with the green tank and a red stick showin on top. If i fill it should the red stick turn green? Provided I can find some castrol hsmo? Yes the suspension has been changed.

Yes, a green sleeve will move upwards covering the red stick. Castrol hsmo is still easily available from the usual Jag suppliers.