AC blows warm after parked up for winter

My 1985 metallic claret AC started blowing warm ( at least not cold ) air when set on auto /65

It happened after car was parked outside ( under multiple covers) for 5 weeks in very wet weather

When I bought this car in 2003 it had also been parked up for a long time and had same problem … AC did not blow cold air … due to moisture "sticking / freezing " the system up?

I remember mechanic took side panels off the center consul And freed up a slide/ rod type assembly or some movement adjuster rods with WD40. After a while the AC suddenly blew cool. It didn’t need to be recharged with134.

I took the side panels off and don’t see this sliding rod assembly mechanism … maybe I need to delve deeper and take the black AC vent / cowl off but that doesn’t seem like it … does anyone know where this AC rod / assembly system is or have advice? It’s too “coincidental” the AC should suddenly quit blowing cold after being parked up for a length of time

Rudy,

My first question: when you have the a.c. system set in auto, and turn the temp knob from 65 to 85…do you hear the servo motor whine from the right foot well? I have been seeing an increasing number of corroded / damaged feedback pots on the servo. If the feedback pot is damaged…the amp will not get the signal necessary to drive the servo. But…that said…it certainly could be other things causing your problem…let’s eat this elephant one bite at a time.

Yes I do hear a whine though I’m not sure if this is the whine you refer to … it’s a fairly high pitched whine / noise which I always thought came from the flaps open / close adjusting according to how you program temp with dial ( auto , high, low defrost screen etc ) … it might be described as coming from footwell but it’s not a sound where you get that inner hunch that SOMETHINGS WRONG … it sounds OK like its part of design

Hmmmm … I’m certain the blowing warm has to do with car being left too long and ( atmospheric) moisture getting into this fine tuned sliding rod and ball / lever type mechanism making it temporarily seize … but (where) is it ? I’m absolutely positive I watched a mechanic ( now retired bah ). Remove side panel(s) in consul and solve warm AC by spraying it with WD40 …

Feel the hoses in the engine compartment. One should be quite cold.

If not, maybe you do need a recharge?

Just a suggestion!

Rudy …

#1 You need to determine if the system is producing cold air (air cooling system)

#2 If it is, you need to figure out why it’s not being delivered to the air vents (air distribution system)

The first thing to do is warm up the car with the a/c on max. Now feel the suction (low pressure) line. It’s the hose going from the evaporator to the compressor. It has the fitting that you charge the system with. The metal ends on this hose should be very cold, usually with condensation on them. If they’re nice and cold then the cooling system is working (maybe or maybe not at 100%, but it’s working). if not then let’s find out why.

Check the clutch on the compressor, it should be engaged with an occasional cycling off and then back on. Check the sight gauge on the top of the receiver/dryer. It should be almost clear with a little foam visible when the compressor cycles on and off. If it’s perfectly clear all the time then there is no refrigerant in the system. If it’s showing bubbles or foam all the time the system is low on charge. A set of a/c gauges will tell you exactly the state of the refrigerant charge and how your compressor and expansion valve are operating. A very good investment.

If the system is correctly charged and the evaporator is being cooled why isn’t the cold air getting to the vents. It could be that the surface of the evaporator is matted with debris (32 years of unfiltered air can add up) or that the blend doors on the evaporator housing unit aren’t going to the correct position.

Take it step by step and you can narrow the problem down.

That’s a lot of good advice… thanks grooveman I’ll check these things out

Result??? Leaving us hanging???

My guess would be that the refrigerant level dropped asd the compressor clutch is prevented from engaging.

I expect that when I fix my Jeep, it will need a recharge.
Easy with a can or two from the parts joint…

Carl

Yeah that’s what it was … I threw a couple of cans AC pro and it was back to cool …

Rudy …

Glad to hear your recharging of the system worked.

Although 2 cans of refrigerant tells me that you definitely have a leak somewhere. Now how long your system keeps cooling will tell you how major the leak is.

I have to admit I thought it could be something worse … but when I checked out an AC pro you tube they freely talked about 2 cans being Ok …it took maybe 1 1/2 cans … yes let’s see how long it lasts but it’s nice and cold

Put gauges on it and check the pressure. A/C systems can leak when a car sits up due to o-rings drying up and not sealing properly.
Vac and charge usually sets it right.