Acceptable Concours tires, '69 S2 E 2+2

Does tire brand and size matter in Champion class?
If I had Michelin 185 R15 radials…would I be docked points?

@Harvey_Ferris …?

If the original spec for your car was 185-15 tires in the 78 profile you are ok with this.

And make sure you spare tire matches whatever is on the car.

1 Like

I have a factory original new condition 1969 Dunlop spare tire that I took off my car. Not safe to drive on at road speed, but just to show, it is original. Contact me if you are interested. Free to a good home, first come, first served, but you have to pick up or cover shipping from Cincinnati.

Hi Frank,
You can download a PDF of the Judges Rulebook from JCNA.com without being a member. Its under Events/Concours

Here is a copy of the most relavent part of the Guide: In answer to your questions- “any brand acceptable”. Size goes to App B. It is long winded but the short answer is 185HR15. And yes, in Champion all 5 tires have to match.

8. Tires
a. Champion Division
Using Appendix B, the Entrant’s Owner’s Manual, or the Entry’s Tire Data Plate, judge
Champion Division tires for authenticity. (See Chapter VI. Heading F., Note n., Page
VI-12). Any brand is acceptable. Cars less than 15 years old must have tires whose
speed ratings are equal, equivalent, or superior to their original tires. (See Appendix B).
Judge’s Guide to Jaguar Evaluation-Chapter V
Page V-8 JCNA Concours Rule Book – 2024 Edition
All judged tires’ brand, size, construction, tread pattern, sidewall, and speed rating must
match (an exception to this rule occurs with some of the newest cars, where the front
and rear tires may be a different size). It is the responsibility of the Exterior Judge to
judge the road tires. For Champion and Special Divisions, it is the responsibility of the
Boot Judge to judge the spare tire. Both Judges are to work together to verify their
findings.

1 Like

Coker makes a repro Dunlop185/15 SP radial in blackwall and their Universal Sport in a 5/8 whitewall both have the original style thread .

So, would the Dunlop 185/80 15 work or should I get the 185/70 15?
The owners manual just says SP Sport 185 VR15.
I guess I am asking uf the 185/80 will touch the wheel wells in the front…or should I just get the 185/70’s which I now need with tubes because I have dismantled the original wheels and they polished up beautifully (all 360 spokes). I made a jig to true and tune the spokes with dial calipers.

185-15R is the correct tire. Aspect ratio is not mentioned but it is around 80. 185/70-15R is not the correct size and will have points deducted. Your car will also ride lower and possibly scrape speed bumps. You mentioned Michelin. Redlines are not acceptable as they were never put on any Jaguar. TR6’s yes, not Jaguars. Vredestein is also a popular choice.