Adding a rear cigarette lighter

I would like to add a cigarette lighter to the rear, possibly mounted between the window switches. Would only use it to plug in a USB adapter. Was wondering where I can power it from?

Roger
Tungsten Gray 87

You didn’t say what series car you have (S3 VDP has the central window switches; not sure what other cars do also) but you can power it from virtually anywhere, like the front seat lighter if present. Choose whether you want it powered all the time or only with ignition on.

You can skip the lighter and fit a USB power port directly; they are available for automotive use. Some have two ports. That would eliminate the possibility of using an actual lighter, which in turn would permit use of an inline fuse limiting current to, say, 4A. IMHO.

Robert,

Sorry, it’s a Series III. Also has central window switches.

I hadn’t considered a straight USB mount. Thanks, I’ll check them out.

You can take power from the switches directly, they are live with key at ACC and master window switch on.
A 4A inline fuse, as Robert suggests will be necessary.

Aristides

I was wondering about that, but was a little concerned about the
additional current draw on that circuit.

No additional draw unless both are used at the same time.

Kinda like the wires in my old house. In the kitchen, I must never use the AC, microwave, and disposer at the same time. Much less the toaster as well!!!

In my shop, never have and not likely to, fire uo all my power tools at once!!!

Carl

I was going to mention this, but not sure. On the Series 1, the rear seat window switches receive power as stated, but this power is interrupted if one of the front seat (ski slope) switches is in use controlling a rear window. The idea is to let the driver win if he/she is trying to raise a window whilst a rear seat passenger is trying to lower it. Not a big problem I suppose, especially if the USB power is buffered by batteries in the device being powered.

Anyway, as stated, this power source is available only with the IGN key switched on.

Regarding current draw, USB ports are limited to about two amps (at 5V) maximum. Depending on the port’s circuitry, the maximum current draw at 12V will be 2A and maybe considerably less. IMHO.

Mmmmm… I can see where there might be times the rear passenger is
charging their cell and then might want to operate their window.

Would that be too much current draw for that circuit?

Not as volts aware as pothers here, but, I vote no problem. No different than having the cell plugged in to the front outlet and operating a window…

2 amps is a miniscule draw.

Wire it up, include the recommended fuse. try toi charge and operate a window,. I doubt that the fuse will blow or leak any Lucas smoke…

But, kudos for thinking…

Carl

Carl

What about taking power from the fan control switch in the rear console there’s power… hook up a usb unit on the side of the console?

Why not power it from the ‘front’ cigar lighter fuse, Roger…?

If you are not using the cigar lighters for their original purpose, there is no overloads if both are used for USB simultaneously…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

That sounds like a good plan too. Wonder how hard it would be to access it?

Being an 87, I’m a bit surprised that it hasn’t already got a rear cigar lighter - the VDP/Sovereign had them…?

However, if not there; Jaguar generally wired all cars the same - just leaving unused wires unconnected in the relevant areas. You may already have the wires there…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Roger,
Just in case you are not familiarwith the upgraded trim package of the later Series III Vanden Plas model attached is a picture of the lengthened Closing Panel, Jaguar part number BD48805, in one of my Vanden Plas cars.

In addition to the two rear window switches it has room for the second cigar lighter, and an additional ash tray. I find it very convenient to use the rear cigar lighter outlet to power my portable GPS and the dash mounted cigar lighter outlet for my cell phone charger.
As Frank mentioned it is very likely that the wiring harness in that area is already wired for the additional cigar lighter. If you added this VdP Closing Panel in the correct color for your trim package (or reduced one of another color to match your cars trim), it would function as you would want it to and look correct.

Paul

Here’s hoping.

Roger

Paul,

That would be great! All I have to do is find one in black.

Roger

Roger.

Or you could get a VdP Closing Panel in any color and redye it in black. You can purchase a black vinyl spray dye in auto parts store that should work.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for that tip. Now to source a VDP closing panel.

Roger

Paul,

Found this. Need the bits that mount in it.

https://tinyurl.com/yc9nhmeq

Will keep looking.

Roger

Roger,

Yes, that is the Closing Panel that you need.

Paul