Advice on the 4.0 coupe?

I’m thinking about selling my E-type and purchasing an XJS as I have a lot of trouble getting in and out of the E and it just sits. I don’t want a convertible and don’t want a V12. That leaves the 4.0 six cylinder coupe. What about that engine? What about the ZF automatic? What do the experts think of the car in this ad? What sort of improvements occurred since the 1980 model I owned many years ago? Should I buy this car?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/jaguar/xjs/2236713.html

The AJ6 is a very strong engine and can be quite economical on runs. The ZF transmission can be a problem with the ‘A’ drum but I had no trouble with mine in my XJ40 up to 200,000+ klms

Looks like a nice one.

Those late 4.0 cars are generally considered the easiest to own, as XJSs go.

The engine itself is robust; almost bulletproof, really.

Driveability issues crop up from time-to-time. Persistent, hard to solve high idle problems come to mind.

The ZF trans is generally well regarded. Perhaps not quite as durable as the engine but, still, a more-than-decent transmission

Electrics better than the older cars thanks to infusions of Ford money but, at 25 years old, some of the gloss has surely worn off so some glitches might pop up

It should have the later outboard rear brakes, a ‘plus’ in terms of ease-of-repair

Cheers
DD

1 Like

My 94 4.0 coupe has a VIN about 100 cars after this one. Mine had 80k on the clock and I paid half of this cars asking price. Everything works except the 6 disc CD changer.

My car had all the maintenance records from new and there were only minor items that were repaired except for one. The guy I bought it from spent about 4K having the climate control rehabbed to like new.

All the shocks needed replacement along with all the mounts front and rear for the cages including motor and trans mounts. I did all the work myself and the new rubber transformed the ride.

The car is undergoing a coolant system refresh including all new hoses, radiator, water pump, fan clutch and shroud rebuild.

The only issue I see is the availability of quality tires in the 15 inch size. The 95 has the 16 inch wheel which offers more options which is what I did upgrade to.

I also have a TR6 which is getting much smaller as time marches on and it tends to sit more than I’d like. The XJS is a very reliable ride and we are not afraid to take it anywhere, anytime.

Gordon

I’ll say that’s a beautiful car there! As has been said though, it is a 25 year old car, so it’s always possible for it to have issues pop up, especially with that low of miles if you start driving it on a regular basis. Unless of course they put in new seals through out

Gordon, it sounds like the odds are that it would go to 80K-ish without significant issues (with the possible/probable exception of the climate control system going wonky). Since it’s unlikely I’ll go much beyond 80-ish, it just might be a match. Would be nice if I could find someone in the Nashville area to put eye’s on the thing in terms of actual condition of the paint. Looks good in the photos, but nicks and scratches are difficult to detect from pictures. Anyway, thanks everyone. All helpful remarks.

One thing that’s bothering me about the XJS are comments on the Jaguarforum about inadequate headroom. I’m about 6’2". I wonder if anyone has had the seats out of one of these XJS cars and if there might be spacers or seat structure that can be modified to drop the back edge of the seat a bit. I don’t know if the early cars have the same seats as the electric ones in the “facelift” models. A photo of the underside of the seat would be helpful. I’m planning to look at this car on Saturday, but won’t have time to investigate the bottom of the seat. Thanks.

You can recline the seat back a bit for better headroom.

The earlier models had more leg and head room than the facelifts. Part of that is the electric seats which are bulkier and take up some space. I am 6’3" and drove my '83 with no problem (although I couldn’t wear a helmet while driving it, so autocrossing was out) but I couldn’t fit in a facelift.

Where there’s a will there’s a way! Lol! I’m 6’6"ish and kinda like the way my 93 fits :grin: I will say it fits better with the top down though lol :grin:

I’m looking for a Jaguar club member in the DFW area who would let me try one on for size before purchasing a car in another State. My E-type will be sold in the Fall because it’s just too cramped for this geezer, my wife thinks it’s a death trap and won’t ride in it (she’s right), and it just sits there looking pretty. Been a long time, but I seem to remember having to drive with the seat reclined in my old '81 XJS. If the face lift cars are worse…