Advice on tracking please

I have nearly finished rebuilding the front suspension . I have had the rack reconditioned and converted to RHD. How can I get an approximate tracking set up?
Thanks Jim

I was lucky I had some computer rack side frames handy, this is for my ‘65 ‘S’ type. As the suspension is at full droop I expect to have some mis-alignment but it was the best solution I could come up with.
I had completely stripped the sub frame down.

1 Like

Use a trammel bar. Videos on YT.

Hi Jim,
I use one of these:
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=290919058716&category=43991&pm=1&ds=0&t=1520952072000&ver=0
I also have a set of Dunlop gauges and turntables, so can set castor and camber as well. This makes sense with a number of classics to maintain - most modern tyre depots look at you blankly when you mention castor and camber. The Dunlop kit is expensive but still made, and is exactly what most classics would ever have been setup with when current - but the Laser kit is only around £70 and pretty accurate.
If you only want to do it roughly and have it done by a modern shop later, you can do a four wheel alignment using string, a measure and four axle stands. Basically you set the axle stands around the car and tie string to them to form a low ‘fence’ around the car. Adjust until they are parallel front to rear, and side to side. Then take measurements from front and rear of each rim - you get the picture. You’ll often see this being done in race paddocks. Low tech, but accurate.
You can often find old Dunlop gauges on ebay very cheaply as an old garage has a clear-out.

Make a big wooden caliper like this to approximately set your toe-in…

Completely OT, but that’s a gorgeous colour, Gary - what is it? Birch?

And THAT’S a trammel bar! easy to make, and used properly, quite accurate.

Hi Roger,
It’s supposed to be a close representation of Battleship Grey colour.
I found a strip of the original Battleship Grey paint in the boot, had it optically scanned at a paint shop, and had a batch of paint made up.
I also like the look of this particular shade of grey, except when it looks sort of greenish under fluorescent lighting

Wiggs,
This wacky device has little wheels, allowing it to be easily rolled to various positions to try to measure toe in…

1 Like