AJ16 fuel trim IDS+VCM

I attempted to how far i can get with the ids software today , here are the results .

I had to stop since I did not have any CO values.

I don’t remember if it was this site or the other Jaguar forum but it was pointed out that it is useless without an exhaust analyzer.

Everyone gets stuck at that point.

bob

I guess you can lie to IDs as long as you enter a reasonable value.
Would the IDS reset the fuel trims if the CO values are not within range?
I wonder how much it would cost to buy a decent exhaust gas tester.

Always wondered whether this would work.

It would be nice to know , the price is affordable .
the best person to get more info would be somebody who works for emission test station .
or the car could be taken to a emission test and then enter the values in ids.

The last time I used a gas analyzer was back in the 1990s.
Our shop had a $5000 ALLEN machine that did the oscilloscope and gas analyzer.
They kinda went the way of the dinosaur when the cars themselves did the exhaust gas analyzing via Oxygen Sensors and OBDII.

If all you needed was a CO value, you might be able to get away with a cheap sensor in an Arduino project: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9403 It’s probably not as accurate as a pro unit, but certain specific gas sensors have come down in price. Maybe you would get values close enough. You’d just have to make sure the sensor wasn’t being overheated by the exhaust.

Real quality multi-gas analyzers are still really expensive though.

The repair shops may not have or need a gas tester these days however I think the emission test stations still need them.
am I right?

I guess some States and some Counties in those States use that type of equipment for the older (non-OBDII) cars?

I live in a rural TX County that is not considered NON ATTAINMENT by the US EPA (not many residents) so there are no shops that I know of around here that still use the exhaust gas analyzers.

Maybe some new car dealers still use them???