Alabama: Looking for 1983 XJ6 Series 3 Rear Windshield

Hi,

I am looking for a rear windshield for my 1983 XJ6 Series 3. Today, my dad drove the car and called to tell me that the wind blew the rear glass out. When I bought the car, It had a leak in the rear. I’m not sure if this is what caused that. This is the first time hearing about something like that. I couldn’t believe it. I call my local glass shops and was unable to get a glass sourced. I’m hoping that I can get some help from the community.

Thank you!

Well,
I have 2 back glass’s for an xj6 in Phoenix
Mitch 970 779 0456
Note, I have a '86 xj6 parts car…so have most parts…Oh, and a very good complete interior is for sale in LA California…some 2k…some dark color

Where in the world are you located? This is an international list. If people knew where you lived they might offer suggestions.

BTW, there is a classified ad feature and your post will get wider distribution if you use that the way you are supposed to. I see that you are new so maybe you aren’t familiar with the Classified Ad feature.

Paul

1 Like

Hi Mitch,

Thank you for the response. Would you be willing to ship to Birmingham, AL? I just saw your number. I will give you a shout later today.

Hi Paul,

I am located in Birmingham, Alabama. Sorry I was in a hurry yesterday. For some reason, classified didn’t pop up for me to select. I was trying to put it in wanted, but I’m not sure if I am limited to do so being new. Thank you for your help.

If Moderator could put this post in the correct section, that would be awesome.

Thank You!

sorry, I did not get back to you sooner, I waited all day for Jag-lovers to WORK…COME BACK UP…NOT WORKING…anyway, shipping is a major undertaking…to try and get it to you without breaking it. If you do not find another alternative I could devote 1/2 a day to do it…but it will be expensive
Good luck
Mitch 970 779 0456

Moderators and admin do not move posts to the for sale/wanted as it is a set format that is required to cover the legal requirements.

Mitch,

I’m able to find a potential parts car locally. Will a 1986 rear windshield work on my 1983? It looks the same but didn’t know if there is anything I need to be aware of.

Thanks!

I believe the 1986 rear windshield will fit the 1983 car, and here’s why: Just last night was watching the Netflix series “From Scratch.” In a scene which is supposed to take place in 2004, a Los Angeles based couple picks up their out of town in laws at the airport in a series 3 XJ6 (painted in an awful non factory pink color). In a shot taken from the rear of the car, the rear window has the painted outline on it for the rear parcel shelf brake lamp, which was only introduced in 1986. When the passengers open the rear doors to exit the vehicle, the door panels (or door cards for those of you across the pond) do not have wood trim making this a pre 1986 car.
I rest my case.

Mel R.

68 thru 87 will fit…I do have a box to ship but still hundreds of $$'s…you see I had a '69 parts car and an '86…rear glass are the same
Mitch

68-79 will not fit. Different yet similar shape.

In addition to 68-79 not fitting at all (I have a series II and III right now, they are not the same) you might want to avoid an 84 or later for your 83. It all depends on if you have a high mount third brake light on your 83. The later cars have a silk screened box around the high mount brake light that will look silly if your car doesn’t have a light there. I don’t recall what year exactly the high mount came out, but I think it was 84-ish.

Now with new info…I have an '86 but it has to be pulled from my parts car…then all the parts inside will be exposed…lets just forget it

Thank you for all the replies. I am picking up car Tuesday. I will report back and let ya’ll know how it goes.

Reading through the post, about everything you’ve been told is correct…
You’ll need to find a rear windscreen between 80-85 to have an exact match. The 86 and 87 will fit, but do have the paint for the 3rd brake light…
As far as shipping… Last year a client from Germany contacted me about a windscreen. I’m in the US and hated the thought of shipping it, but he said he’d take care of the details with Fed Ex. He was also very specific about how he wanted it wrapped. Clear bubble wrap, clear plastic wrap, foam insulation board that covered the entire screen on one side, foam insulation that covered about 3/4 of it on the other, no cardboard at all. I was reluctant to do it, but he said he’d take responsibility for it, and not be upset if it was broken. So I did what he asked, and even fit some other parts in the mix, boxed…
His feeling was that if whoever was handling the parcel could see what they were handling, it had a better chance of making it…
The end of the story was that it found it’s way from the US to Germany without any damage…
Still hard for me to believe…
Cheers
David
shop.EverydayXJ.com

1 Like

On Craigslist in very northern Georgia is a 1986 xj6 with an asking price of $2500 that has the correct back glass (windshield)…I know, '86 ?..well if pics do not lie…it has the back glass…
Anyway…make an offer…and go pull the back glass…don’t forget the wire…we call it piano wire, vice grips…and a helper …and do not cry when “you break-it” ask me how I know…still get credit for trying.
Been on Craigslist for a month…
Mitch

1986 car would have the rear window extra brake light.