Almost burned up

I need to be more succinct with this crowd. My presumption from earlier posts was that the switch had been identified as the issue. Obviously identify and correct the problem. Then install a relay. The white and brown wiring in these cars are notorious fire hazards.

Steve says, “carry the Element extinguisher.”
I had been told that just drinking lots of beer was also good. But I’ve yet to try that.
LL… errr, Joe

“Abstainer” A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
Writer Ambrose Bierce

I also have an Element fire extinguisher in the rear cubby of the coupe and also have a Halon one, but don’t know where to keep it and/or mount it so that its handy in an emergency. What have others done?

1 Like

I am months away from needing an extinguisher in my Jag; I have 5x ABC extinguishers in my Garaj Mahal.

1 Like

Unless its still running and you piss on the plug wires while trying to get aimed :scream:

Or if you have an old prostate you can’t reach the fire without getting to close…

1 Like

Why wouldn’t a fuse blow before getting so hot if it was a fused circuit?

It could be a PO used an american fuse of the same “rating” as discussed elsewhere on JL. Or used a bolt in place of a fuse.
No photo description available.

6 Likes

The ‘slow blow’ never fails to make me chuckle!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That wouldn’t be anyone on this forum. :wink:

From a Beardsmore restoration article in Hemmings Classic Car.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/09/07/a-british-1958-beardmore-mark-7-paramount-taxicab-finds-new-life-in-the-colonies

1/4-20 Bolts! Surely should have been BSF.

ALan

That is ridiculous. Everyyone knows you can just wrap the old fuse with aluminum foil.

1 Like

I carry a small Halogen extinguisher mounted just in front of the passenger seat. I can reach it from the driver’s seat or the passenger can easily unclip it and pass it to me.
I also have a much larger Halogen extinguisher wall mounted in both garages.
I carry ABC extinguishers in each of the other cars and my truck.

For the same reason a cigarette lighter gets hot and does not blow the fuse. An amp load can be lower than the fuse but based on the resistance still cause heat.
Tpm

1 Like

Which at the time was one of the many benefits of smoking. The inner foil from a box of Marlboros served as a perfect source of foil, and was of course, readily available; as close as your front shirt pocket. :laughing:

Ahh, good to know that a small “ la vache qui rit” cheese is good for 16 amps.

:smiley:

Cheers!

How did you mount it exactly? Did you drill holes? If yes, where exactly. Thanks!

Charles
Did you check your ignition switch while the car was running for a while? If it and the key were
hot to the touch. Then it could short out and burn the wire. I replaced mine when it had these symptoms, and now the switch is always cool. Hope you get your car running.
Benny

Okay, I’m am an idiot. You guys are gonna love this. As it turns out, I had wired the fan to a switch in the cockpit. I don’t know if the wire was too thin or the switch produced too much resistance, both or whatever. It occurred to me that could be it and I just turned the switch off and boom, no heat. I had been keeping it turned all the time thinking it would keep the engine cooler. Not the coil or the ignition switch.