Alternator: best choice for a Series 1

Yes indeed. I believe I am correct in the brackets pictured above are to adapt a 3.8 to an alternator. It appears the two-stud-holes are correct for my block. I cannot tell if it will position an alternator properly front to back, but I believe it will and that I’ll be able to shim it as necessary.

Looks like the right part to me.

Thanks Terry. I am quite sure the SNGB/Moss Alternator Adapter bracket will function to allow an alternator to be installed. But I have another path that is viable (I think).

At a suggestion from @64etype I called Classic Air. They will sell me an Alternator Kit for my '63 E-type. But their adapter needs to start with a factory type generator bracket. It comes complete with the Alternator (I think this is a Suzuki 60 amp, internal regulated, an adapter to convert the OEM generator bracket to mate with the Alternator, the adjuster arm and some spacers and bolts. This kit cost is $250. Plus I need a OEM bracket, $Here’s the only pic they have of an installation:

This path means I will have to purchase an OEM type of generator bracket. Some questions:

1. what is the thought on the Suzuki type alternator?
  2. is 60 amps sufficient?
  3. Has anyone installed this kit from Classic Air?
  4. anyone have pictures?

That’s photo of my car during AC installation mockup. Unless you have plans for an AC later, use the 3.8 bracket from the usuals.

Provided to me by Dwight at Classic Auto Air. Unfortunately, Dwight was not so helpful about which bracket I should start with. And he informed me this is a Suzuki Alternator. I thought you had installed the Hitachi and then upgraded to a higher amp alternator?

Do you think the 60 amp is sufficient?

I like the idea of being able to add the A/C at a later date, but maybe I just won’t worry about it now. If I get the SNGB alternator adapter bracket, I can go directly to the alternator. I believe MC Wilkinson makes a duplex pulley for an alternator. That would save me having to replace my crank and water pump pulleys.

I told Classic it was an alternator from a Samurai. They wouldn’t have had a clue. Don’t know if the design was Denso or Hitachi. (Their alternator kit is a ripoff by the way).

60 amps is plenty without AC. Adequate with AC.

Use the 3.8 bracket if one is available. BTW, Beere engineerng in the UK advertises a serpentine pulley/belt kit.

I saw that from Beere; interesting but quite expensive. the M&C Wilkinson has simple kit with alternator and duplex pulleys is $270, but they don’t state the alternator type nor current rating.

Did they take your concept and now use that for their kit?

Classic Garage sells an alternator from WOSP that looks and fits the same as the stock generator. I don’t see it on their website, you might want to give them a call. By the time you’re done with brackets and pulleys, it may be your best bet.

https://classicgarage.com/

http://www.wosperformance.co.uk/products/dynators/

1 Like

8 HUNDRED freakin’ dollars??

No, thank you. I can rebuild my Lucas generator more times than Ill be alive to enjoy.

You’re looking at the Rolls version, there’s a different product for Jaguar.

I looked: could find no others.

???

That’s what I meant by “I didn’t see it on their website.” But I know they have them on the shelf.

Well Mike’s reply gave me reason to further investigate the WOSP choices. That led to a WOSP location in Braselton, Georgia…but to no avail as the web site is not fully functional. Then I was led to a Moss offering. Behold, they say they have a 70 amp WOSP (Denso) alternator for the Series 1. $310. But you need the duplex pulley that is offered for $54. But then the pulley is B.O. So then I went back to Mike’s web page to see if there is a duplex pulley there. Didn’t see one but I thought you had told me a year ago Mike that there was a source for the duplex pulley? Maybe memory doesn’t serve? At any rate, Moss has a duplex pulley for the generator, but B.O. for the alternator. I’m assuming the pulley diameter is product specific.

1 Like

On searching at SNGB, I see a few duplex pulleys for alternators. Steel or aluminum. Now to sort if they have the proper inner and outer diameters.

Getting closer to a solution…

1 Like

OK: $310 is beginning to look doable.

As I mentioned earlier, the water pump V-belt pulley in the RetroAir Ac kit is from a 3.4 engine. My crank pulley is a machined aluminum item that I bought from them because they were out of used steel units. Each is about $112 from Moss…but you might find them for less if you place a classified ad. Welsh Enterprises sells used parts. Ditch the W belt…

Eric when you upgraded to a 70 amp alternator, do you have the manuf and model # for that?

On the pulleys, I have also called Classic Jag (CJs) and they said they had nothing that could help me.

So, I think I shall stick with the crank and water pump pulleys and find a duplex for the alternator

The number is in the second post above. But note that the mounting “foot” configuration is for use with the original generator bracket. I doubt it will fit the bracket from the usuals.

Ahh indeed it is Eric. I’m sorry for exercising you for nought. So that will likely work for me.

@Michael_Frank I have the folks at Classic Garage (Ann and Stuart) working on this for me. We shall see what comes out.

At the moment two affordable paths forward: the alternator conversion bracket for a Series1 from either XKS or SNGB, an Hitachi Alt a la Eric, a WOSP alternator from either XKS or (hopefully) from Classic Garage, a duplex pulley from the usuals for the alternator and an adjusting bracket most likely from eBay. Both solutions are for a 70 amp alternator.

There is a 3rd option also who is very simple. M&C Wilkinson in the UK. Its about $350 and I’d have to get a new quote for the 70 amp version, but it is complete right down to the belt.