An Update- Porsches and Etypes

Almost exactly one year ago I announced here that I was stepping away from the restoration of my 63 FHC in order to rebuild the flat 6 engine on my Porsche Cayman. See the blog thread as linked below. So you wouldn’t think the engine rebuild job would take a year but it did. It was very challenging but also very rewarding. I literally completed break-in miles and took it to VIR for a track event last weekend. In summary, all is well with the engine.

Meanwhile, available Etype work pretty much came to a full halt this fall when I found I was basically waiting for the left rear bumper to be chromed and installed, so I could then install the gas tank, so I could then fire up the engine, etc. etc. I got a phone call from Paul’s Chrome in PA the week before Christmas. They were going out of business and I had best get up there quickly to collect my yet to be finished chrome work. Not a great Christmas for me, Paul, or his staff! Anyway, at the first of the year I sent my chrome to S&H near Nashville. I was advised this morning that they are done. I am going to drive over next week for an inspection and pickup. And I can get back onto the Etype.

It’s funny how one door closes and another door opens!

3 Likes

Did you pull it to replace the IMF bearing?

1 Like

Sorry to hear Paul’s is going out of business, they did quality work.

I would be curious to know the quality from S&H.

Great read Harvey - look forward to more.

Terry

The 987 platform is so amazing on the track. Bet VIR was a load of fun.

Isn’t the IMF just a 996 thing?

I’ve never owned one but a quick Google says this

All water cooled 911’s Boxster’s and Caymans from 1997 through to 2008 are at risk of suffering an IMS bearing failure, this with the exception of the Turbo, GT2 and GT3 models which maintained use of the air-cooled style shaft.

1 Like

So the short answer is that the intermediate shaft bearing had a relatively high failure rate on the early water cooled cars (Boxsters and 911s). Porsche sort of reacted to this around 2005 with a better bearing (which my car has) that anecdotally has a failure rate of < 1%. By 2009 they released an engine that did away with the intermediate shaft entirely. As discussed in my article, I was just trying to bring back my engine to as-new; as also, anecdotally, folks were putting higher mileage cars into service as track cars and then suffering failures.

Kind of like the Etype, the early Cayman can be considered the most pure version.

Good for you…Erica…shame on Porsche…a bearing
Elon Musk. on Joe Rogan…who builds and manufactures cars says, “that 911’s make no sense as they go against the Physics because of rear engine…now tell me how he is wrong…just want to learn
Mitch
Truth be told…I would “love” to be a 911 expert…how can “'they”” not stand behind a bearing failure?..
How does a 911 not push in hard cornering…and how does 911 get down force at high speed…and what about luggage and weight…and how long does an air cooled motor last…and how long in 116 degree heat every summer in Phoenix…and since I live in Loveland, Co just below 12,000 feet trailridge (US 34) how does it do at elevation…lots to learn

And maybe…most of all…what did say a '72 911 sell for in the last recesion (2010 and 2011) I bought running and driving 2+2’s with no rust for 5 and 6k even a convertible no rust for12K…because…I would like to have a something…maybe tell me what?

And I might add…We became the #1 Bluegrass band…doing 4,000 shows in 14 years and since North Carolina is the Mecca (sort of) We…roe family band spent years in N Carolina…very special state…my opin…because of the music culture…son Brian won Merle Fest in Wilksborro on the Mandolin. circa 2007…We played many many years at Merle Fest…well up until our freind Doc Watson died…

I’m fixing to find out. A friend has used them and likes their work. One reason I am driving 9 hours to pick up my work is to give me a chance to do a close inspection before I write a check. I tend to be pretty picky. We’ll see.

I owned a 2003 Carrera4S for eight years. I bought the car when it had 75k on it. It had never had its IMS t replaced.

I gave in to the scare hype and after about 5k miles had the clutch replaced and while at it, the IMS. I replaced it with the new and modified ceramic bearing, the “solution” not yet being available.

I kept the original bearing, still have it. There was nothing wrong with it.

During my ownership I grew to understand that the failures, although dramatic, were limited to a very low % of cars.

Best engineered car I ever owned. Shouldn’t have sold it it, dammit!

Although there has always been the image of the kid who takes things apart just to see how they work, I have rarely had the luxuiry of time, money, and space to take things apart just for the hell of it. I took my Porsche engine down to the very last nut and bolt and spent some time studying it, especially with respect to the oiling system. (There is a long article on my website about the Cayman engine’s oiling system, with over an hour of video!) The engineering is fasicinating. In a similar vein, I have taken my 63 FHC down to the basics and have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the thousands of parts and pieces. Its not often in life that you get to do these kinds of things. A perk of retirement!

1 Like

Very very true !

Harvey,Congratulations on getting the Cayman engine back together and getting the Cayman back on the road. Please do a review on your newly chromed bumpers when you get them back. I need to get the bumpers re-chromed on my 68 FHC. I have been searching for a reliable chrome shop that doesn’t have a 12 month wait.
Enjoy the Cayman. I also have an 07 Cayman S.

Hi Les,

I am new to Atlanta (O4W) and just took delivery of my 1968 S1.5 2+2 4 speed. Would be great to meet - I’d like to see your car - ask a few questions, etc. Let me know if you’d like to get in touch.

Bill
I am assuming that based on your avatar, you are in Florida.

I am in Colorado and used a chrome shop (D&R Chrome) in LA. What worked for me is that this shop loads up a semi-trailer with bumpers for three trips to various major car shows. I was able to give them my chrome pieces at one show and retrieve at the next.

I know photos don’t do justice to chrome pieces and a lot depends on the condition of the chrome item(s) at the start.

/
/

/
/

/
/

• In my case they had the parts chromed in 10 weeks. But I waited until their next trip to CO (avoided shipping charges / damages and ham-fisted freight handlers)
  • They unobtrusively etch either your name, initials, or invoice number on the back of each piece to ensure you get back what you submitted (although they rarely have XKE parts in their shop - heavy representation from the hot rod, muscle car and lowrider crowds
  • I rejected 5 pieces for minor issues (at the next show)
  • They accepted my pieces back without comment or argument.
  • They had them re-done in 5 weeks and were prepared to mail them to me. I deferred and met them at their next visit to Colorado

D&R Chrome
3380 Randolph St,
Huntington Park, CA
1-855-3CHROME
1-(323) 584-6978
1-(323) 717-8899
http://www.dandrchrome.com/.
drchromela@gmail.com

Attends
Hot Rod Show in Jun (Pueblo),
Good Guys in Sept (Loveland) and
in-door show Feb (Denver).
Est: $550 for front bumpers and $550 for rear.(Mine were in pretty good shape

D&R = Brothers Dave and Ricardo.
Chrome YES
Nickel Plating YES Cadmium Plating NO

1 Like

Erica, the IMF bearing, there is a video they made by “WHEELER DEALERS” years ago.
Very interesting video, lots of work, but clearly to see how it is made with an “UPGRADE”, extra oil line and bearing. Special tools needed.
Frank.

1 Like

I thought IMF is the International Monetary Fund whilst IMS is the intermediate shaft bearing!

The single row IMS on the 996 Gen 2s is supposed to be less likely to fail then the dual row on the Gens 1s. However the Gens 2s and 997s suffer from bore score (to make up for it).
It is still a small percentage of failure though, less than 5% - 30 years after they ceased production in the case of the 996.
The bore score issue is caused mainly by abuse, dirty oil with cold starts and and no warm up before thrashing.
Talking to Porsche Tecs, they dont worry about it. The cars that failed in the day often suffered irregular oil changes which, in turn, attacked the weak spot in the engine - the IMS. Any that were going to fail because of a production issue are now long gone.

However, a whole industry has now sprung up around the issue.

Fact is most do not fail, it only really matters whether it is done or not when you come to sell it and the buyer asks. It can add to the value a bit.

I am running a 996 that has 125k on the clock and runs like a sewing machine, 23 stamps in the book. Yes, it has the single row IMS replacement. No problems.

I also run a 992 daily that has 60,000 miles on the clock and runs as good now as the day it was new. Great car, and when you factor in depreciation to the running costs, it hasn’t really cost me much to own or run.

The similarities between E types and older 911s are surprising even though they are obviously very different too. No wonder both designs have endured for such a long time and appeal you the youth market. Surprising how many E type owners I have met who also like 911s.

1 Like

Hi Craig,
Yes, your assumption is correct, I am in the Daytona Beach area of Florida. Thanks for sharing the information on D and R Chrome. The Crome looks great on the photos. When you said $550 for front and rear bumpers, is that each corner or for the pair?
Can you share what were the issues you found, that they had to re do?
Thanks again for sharing the information.

Of course, Thank you Craig…
Cut to the chase…since we used to spend our winters in Mexico (native Coloradoan first to ski but got to “upity” and expensive “screw Aspen” the family went to Mexico from '70 till 2014 every winter (Now Panama) …the issue we learned SPANISH… driving thru Mexicali on the way to Cabo thus I could take my chrome there myself (meet the guys…studies show, and I concur…Mexicans are the hardest working nation)…but speaking Spanish is key…So, thank you Craig…I learned…
Mitch and Vicki
PS…one of our “JOYS in our life” was living (for free…still can) on the beaches of Baja Mexico…spear fishing, fishing and Tequila…I mention this…for that someone here who might GO (but for fear)…
And for Craig, one of my dreams an E…V-12 with fuel injection (FI)making a run to Cabo (there is a supposed speed limit…but in actuality there is not…ask Dick about v-12 FI)