Angle Drive Connections

Trying to find a solution to angle drive failure.

The connection at the transmission is quite loose (and has always been).

Did major surgery on all the connections and components and got about 8 miles until it stopped.

I suspect that the connection though the transmission is at fault or that the spigot length is too short.

Comments??

Bob

On the XJ-S the speedo drive gear is plastic. There is a known issue where the screw gear inside the transmission output housing gets rusty, and the rough surface wipes out a brand new plastic speedo drive gear in short order.

The mounting of that takeoff is really loose, though. It just never seemed right to me.

There’s a short length of steel in the E-type angle drive, maybe an inch long, though it’s been so long since I took one apart I’m not sure, that’s square in profile and about 1/8” wide. It transfers the rotation of the drive gear in the gearbox 90 degrees via the gear in the angle drive into which the main speedometer cable is inserted. This is a failure point. If the gearing in the angle drive is compromised, this short piece of steel acts much like a shear pin. If you were to remove the angle drive from the side of the gearbox and undo the knurled nut you are likely to find two pieces where there should be one and an angle drive that’s either stripped or bunged up with deposits. A loose connection will do the same thing if the drive is not square.

I replaced the angle drive recently. The new one has a Phillips screw on the bottom. Do you know what it’s for? (‘64 3.8 E-Type). Thx

No. I don’t recall seeing a Phillips screw in mine.