Another disappointment

Like several others on the list, I am not getting any younger. When I was in college I bought a non-running XK120 for the princely sum of $175, which my father loaned me. In the ensuing decades other endeavors have occupied my time and money, and restoration of the poor XK has been neglected. At this time in life I am wondering whether it would be smarter to simply purchase an already restored car rather than waiting several years for someone to do mine. To that end I periodically look at the online auctions, and recently found this car:

I speculated that since it was a DHC and the hood was stored on the back deck it might have more legroom than the OTS, which stores the hood behind the seats. Since it was only about 3 hours from my house I decided to take a look and see if I could fit my 36" inseam legs into it. I grabbed my checkbook and took a ride.

As we drove up to it my wife literally gasped. It is drop-dead gorgeous. Anyone who likes these cars should look at the pictures on the ebay listing. The gentleman who showed it to me was one of the team that restored it, and it is basically a new car. Unfortunately, there was no way that I could even close the door with my left foot on the clutch pedal, and my right knee interfered with the shifter. I momentarily considered buying it just so I could park it in my garage and look at it, but that would have removed half of the purpose of owning the car. I’m investigating racing buckets, but any other modifications would diminish this beautiful car, since it is already finished. I guess I’m back to building the one I have, which is still in a condition where I can make sheet metal modifications. If anyone is interested in a silver DHC, this one looks great. His last auction listed a buy-it-now of $89k, so he wants to sell it.

Mike Eck

Mike
With a 10” steering wheel I think you’d find plenty of room for those knees.

You will need to add electric power steering (or design one for yourself).

You pal, John

You’d make a good choice, to get one already done, modify it to fit, and sell the other.

Look for an XK140, they have lots more room.

I have driven XK140s and was able to fit, so I did indeed look for one previously. I found a DHC about 50 miles away so, once again, I took a drive there with my checkbook. It was the same story. I couldn’t get the door closed with my foot on the clutch, so I was never able to drive it. That was the first disappointment that is referred to in the title. Are DHC’s smaller than OTS’s?

Mike,

Try an XK140 OTS - much much more interior room in the same external dimensions as a XK140 DHC.
Trouble with DHCs is they have very thick doors to accommodate the window mechanism and guides, aggravated by the 1/4 vent windows that go very close to the knuckles when steering…, and also aggravated by the A-pillar treatment, and the protruding thick timber facia…

Regardless, still much more room in an XK140 OTS or DHC or FHC relative to their XK120 counterparts, mostly due to relocation of main bulkhead, all of which contributed to being a much better 50/50 balanced car. If you don’t like the chrome bumpers - and I actually do - you can always remove them, but apart from debatable opinions on cosmetics, the XK140 is - as you would expect - a significant improvement/advance over the XK120 in all respects… except maybe the historical/museum aspect. But that’s my opinion…

Mike,
You are welcome to come down to VA and test fit in my xk140 OTS!
Steve

Hardly a hard Choice Mike…to have a beauty XK…or to have leg shortening surgery…: the surgery of course . Nick

2 Likes

Hi Roger,

I went and sat in my OTS and noticed an interesting thing. I could slide the seat forward two inches and I was STILL able to put my foot on the clutch pedal. My knees were well in front of the steering wheel, and even with the seat that far forward my thighs did not interfere with the steering wheel. As I slid the seat forward even further my shins contacted the underside of the dash before anything else touched. The wheel was above my crotch and my knees were about at the level of the steering column, but still free to move. Compare that to the DHC where, with the seat and the wheel fully back, my left knee was against the side of the steering wheel and I couldn’t get the door closed. I called the mechanic and asked him to take some measurements, and it turns out that the DHC wheel is at least 2" closer to the pedals than the OTS, even when it is adjusted furthest back. It is also an inch closer to the seat back, so that means there is at least 3" less leg room in the DHC. That combination makes it impossible for me to fit in it. I wonder why they did that?

Hi Steve, I drove your OTS on the Blue Ridge Parkway, so I know I can fit. I was just unaware that there was such a big difference in the interior dimensions between the OTS and the DHC, so now I know to skip the DHC’s. Too bad, they are really beautiful inside.

I believe that the steering wheel is lower (closer to the seat) on RHD XK120 OTS. This was to allow the column to just clear the underside of the carbs. That’s why I have my wheel pulled all the way towards me.