Anyone changed a radiator?

So a cable tie and a soldering iron? I’ve got both and will give it a try.

1 Like

Radiator swap done today, was planning to do upper and lower hoses as well but the replacement lower hose I mistakenly ordered came without the block heater so I just left the original lower hose in place. I’ll have to leave it like that until (and if) I can get one with the block heater section …not holding my breath!

Also the Gates hose from rockauto wasn’t such a great match, I’d recommend the URO as the shape looks more like it would fit … pump end angle of the Gates hose wasn’t right, plus the new URO top hose I fitted seemed way better quality and far more robust than the Gates one.

Lower radiator mounts were completely fried as usual and couldn’t find any for sale, all NLA at the moment so most of my time was spent fabricating home-made lower bushes, which consist of a hose within a tapered-to fit-in-the-hole hose.
Worked just fine and similar to what I substituted for the lower condenser bushes when I rebuilt the a/c a few years ago.

So all good, no more drips. Hope your job goes as smoothly, Joe!

Larry, I’m glad the swap went relatively smooth. It seems the quality of URO products got better in the past few years.
My job will take more than a day since I have to wait for the radiator to dry out before attempting to fix the crack. Plus I’m pretty lazy lately, first I gotta get ready mentally before I get off the couch. They say the body won’t go there where the mind doesn’t wanna go.

It’s ok Joe, I spent last week doing the job mentally over and over and I even had to recruit an old friend (age 81) to help me lift out and reinstall the rad, all the while listening to him bitch about the way the hood opened, how he’d only “seen that on semis” and how he’d NEVER buy a Jag like ours “because of the stupid way the hood opens”.
…Oh well, it was nice to be able to put the rad back in without banging the fins, one guy on either side!

What is the point in being an old guy unless you can bi### about random things! :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

Being a nearly old guy, nearly that is by Larry’s friend’s standard, I can attest to the right to b**** about whatever I feel like. Many times, however, my wife disagrees.

1 Like