Anyone use led headlight kits in a series 1

Before I take the plunge, anyone used seal beam led or plug in bulbs with an old school lense?
Thanks in advance.
gtjoey1314

Thanks for the pm on VINTAGECAR LED
WOW if this works Im a happy camper with the fan and all INSIDE THE LENSE…
We shall see.
Technology…who would have guessed.
gtjoey1314

Hey Joey what specific light and bulb do you see on this site that would work with a Ser I car?

There are a couple but the new VCm3
You get 3,000 lumens draws 16 watts for the pair
It plugs into our original 3 prong and everything is inside the bulb. There are upgrade options for the german headlight look but thats not for us.
They also go bezerk with up to 6,000 lumens? I dont know who needs that.
The 3,000 lumens standard 400 times brighter? Im joking .
But they are bright, theres other options if you want the yellow or blue look which I dont want.
Our series 1 wires are so thin, im happy if they work and draw WAYYYYYYYY less through the wires.
The led dash lights are night and day.
gtjoey1314

The lense looks stock not fish eye led heads

1 Like

The lamps are made by/for Custom Spares, get 'em direct:

https://classicgarage.com/nsearch.html?section=&query=headlight&searchsubmit=Search&vwcatalog=classicgarage

So how much do they want for just the bulbs? Is your Series 1 negative ground?

Negative ground I don’t have the bulbs for 200 dollars and nothing out the back
I try it!

Hey Michael- did you notice the outline of a car in the headlight? Looks vaguely familiar… :smile:

Careful! At 6500K you WILL get a bluish light. Pure white is actually around 5000K.

Good to know: I cannot tolerate blue headlights.

image1.jpeg

Joey, are you sure that the tail of the LED will clear the back of the bucket on a S1?

So far so good, Theres no pig tail on the new one just the 3 prongs like a standard bulb.
Theres alot of room in that bucket I think as well.
gtjoey1314

Well everyone …The young man who owns the company was very nice.
Please give him a call he was very helpful
Im getting the standard GLASS lense pair with the 3,000 lumens
He gave me a price of 189 for the pair no tax and free shipping!
Call VINTAGE CAR .LED Im trying in, they even have the light in the bulb!
Just plug and play, he explains the whole led no fan now new tech in the last 6 months and a LIFETIME WARRANTY on the bulbs.
Call them if your interested it was talking to my sons…a good thing!
gtjoey1314
tell him gtjoey sent you for the same discount…he is waiting for all the jag guys :slight_smile:

I don’t know Joey. This is a standard Hella H4 bulb. It is significantly shorter than the VCm3 and it just fits into a Ser I bucket

I don’t know Terry. Add both plastic and metal on the Hella and looks pretty close to VCm3.

We see the kid is throwing in led brake light bulbs that just go in the socket?
Let’s have fun
2 watts instead of 25 watts

Ok kids again
We measured my halogen bulb and it’s 3 1/8
From the back of the glass flange to the end of the prong
The Led is the exact same maybe an 8thless!the plug is only 3/4 inch deep and from the back of the bucket to the light bucket front we have around 4 inches!
We look more than good!!
See below

Again these buns if they work will draw less than 16 watts compared to the 50/75 of a standard bulb!
Again he is sending me TEST 1157 brake bulbs using 2 watts instead of 25? Or 15?
He says the look stock with the red lense so let’s see

I’m really interested to see how these work out.

I assume he sells just the bulbs, so you can put them in your own H4’s?

Just measuring the tang length and between the tangs it appears the scale of each photo is more or less the same to each other. If it is the LED is 2 1/8" long from the mount to the end of the tang, whereas the Hella is 1 5/16". Just went through fitting H4 Hellas to my Ser I. Don’t think there is a chance that this led will fit a Ser I. It’s significant the company specifically offers lights for a Ser II but not a Ser I. Hope i’m wrong - the 65 watt H4 bulbs just suck. Will rewire for the 85’s this winter. Possibly the light fixture is narrower.

The measurement from the reflector edge to the tips of the bulb connectors must be no more than 3" to fit the S1 buckets. This is a Wipac unit which fits the S1 and the Cibie unit which does not as it measures 3.75":

Bear in mind you need to improve the volume of light on the road and not the intensity of light which is why modern cars have such large headlamp assemblies to remain legal. This is a challenge on the E-Type unless you fancy carving out bigger holes in the bonnet!

I use relay’s and the latest generation halogen bulbs (their technology has also changed rapidly) and the headlights on my S1 are now exactly the same as my LED equipped Range Rover Sport.